MCAT score required to tutor others

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Davidfromcali

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What score would you expect of your tutor? 510+, 515+, 520+?

I read that the big prep companies will consider people with a 513 or higher, but what score does the average tutor have?

I have a decent score, nothing godly like a 523, but I enjoy teaching. I think I could at least teach BB but I’m assuming a tutor should have a sky high score to do so.

Any thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're applying to be a tutor for a company, you are better off asking them. I know one company that requires at least a 520. If you're talking about starting a tutoring service then it's whatever students feel comfortable with. One student may feel comfortable if their tutor scored 525 than 510.

At MCATBROS, we currently require scores of 524+ for our tutors in general, but we will consider a 129+ tutor and only allow them to tutor those sections.

A 129 in all 4 sections is a 516... where does the 524 come from?

Members don't see this ad :)
Holy cow we had the exact same score and subscores :eek:
That’s crazy!
I actually thought the Bio Biochem was the easiest when I was testing and Chem/Phys was the hardest. I read after the fact that a lot of people felt the same about my Chem\Phys section so I feel like the curve may have played in my favor and my relatively easier Bio/Biochem had a harsher curve. My CP score was higher than any practice score I ever got while the others were more even. Either way it worked out to be a great score and got me some acceptances so I’ll take it!

Princeton Review doesn't require that you have taken the MCAT at all. They do ask you to complete a content-based qualifying quiz and a practice test section of the subject you're trying to teach. With TPR you also have to complete 20 hour trainings where they show you what the relevant material is and how to present it.

I'm not certain about that, but I doubt it. Usually this is a heavy hiring period for us because we lose a lot of people to medical school and we also are gearing up for testing season in January. I remember it took some time for me to hear back as well. Send me a DM though and I'll see if I can help you out!