MCAT Score/Retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adaze

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am working on the application for this cycle, and I'm still undecided if I'm going to retake the mcat. If I do, it wouldn't be until late January or February. Should I put that I plan on retaking on my application, or just submit with my current score. If I do put that I'm retaking, will it hold up my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Score first time around? Anything 496+ seems needless to retake for pod.

I have a 491, with a high GPA both science and overall

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 491, with a high GPA both science and overall
If youre wanting scholarships and are picky about where youre going then retake, but last year a few people with MCAT scores like that got accepted

If youre wanting scholarships and are picky about where youre going then retake, but last year a few people with MCAT scores like that got accepted
Yeah, I'm solely focused on Kent. They strongly suggested that I apply this previous cycle but I told them that it would be best for me to wait this opening cycle due to finances. However, my interest in retaking is for scholarship opportunities. I plan on submitting my application by the end of next week.

Yeah, I'm solely focused on Kent. They strongly suggested that I apply this previous cycle but I told them that it would be best for me to wait this opening cycle due to finances. However, my interest in retaking is for scholarship opportunities. I plan on submitting my application by the end of next week.
Yeah so thats just up to you then. You would probably get into Kent if you applied early and stuff, however I don't know if you'd get scholarships. You actually might. Id call them and ask them specifically

Yeah so thats just up to you then. You would probably get into Kent if you applied early and stuff, however I don't know if you'd get scholarships. You actually might. Id call them and ask them specifically
Okay thank you.

I'd say retake it if you have the time to study. Definitely worth it for the scholarships. I had ok GPA and a bit higher MCAT (498), and applied/interviewed early but I think Kent only offered me the smallest amount of scholarship of any of the schools. In the end it will be worth it if you get higher on your MCAT. You may get a scholarship with what you have now, but retaking and getting more will save you thousands in the future.

What MCAT scores + GPA combo usually net scholarships?

I'd say retake it if you have the time to study. Definitely worth it for the scholarships. I had ok GPA and a bit higher MCAT (498), and applied/interviewed early but I think Kent only offered me the smallest amount of scholarship of any of the schools. In the end it will be worth it if you get higher on your MCAT. You may get a scholarship with what you have now, but retaking and getting more will save you thousands in the future.

Thanks, I definitely have the times since I'm a stay at home mom, its just the mental torture. However, scholarships are well worth it.

Lol looks like I'll have to be happy with just a 3.2 + 495 acceptance
well I talked to someone the other day at the school and they said they also based it on interview performance along with mcat and gpa. You never know!!!! ;-)

well I talked to someone the other day at the school and they said they also based it on interview performance along with mcat and gpa. You never know!!!! ;-)

Of course.

You would not want someone with a 4.0 + 520 mcat but the human empathy equivalent of a sea slug.

Stats get you the interview and qualify you for scholarships.
Character gets you the acceptance.

Reactions: 3 users
Of course.

You would not want someone with a 4.0 + 520 mcat but the human empathy equivalent of a sea slug.

Stats get you the interview and qualify you for scholarships.
Character gets you the acceptance.
You make me giggle!!!!Very true!!