Mcat score, screwed up big time!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rs76

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 28O

PS=11
VR=7:mad:
BS=10

I ddint send my amcas and didnt apply. Do you think i can get into some low tier schools? Is it too late to apply? Also, where can i get info on which schools are low tier. I dont want to waste money if i dont stand a chance. i have a few research and publications and 3.66 gpa.

Congrats to all who did well!

Members don't see this ad.

I got a 28O

PS=11
VR=7:mad:
BS=10

I ddint send my amcas and didnt apply. Do you think i can get into some low tier schools? Is it too late to apply? Also, where can i get info on which schools are low tier. I dont want to waste money if i dont stand a chance. i have a few research and publications and 3.66 gpa.

Congrats to all who did well!

You do have a chance at some lower-tier allopathic schools, and it's not too late to apply (I can't tell you what kind of chance you have, however). Your science section scores are pretty good, so that will be in your favor. The best way to get information about so-called lower-tiered schools is through the MSAR, the official publication of the AAMC. You can obtain it through their website. It basically provides all the statistics of the matriculants of each US and Canadian allopathic school.

On the other hand, if you are not set on applying for the 2007 cycle, I'd retake the MCAT, improve your verbal, and apply next year. The MCAT is now offered something like 22 times a year. It'll save you from having to rush and maximize your chances, since it seems like verbal is your only block.

On the other hand, if you are not set on applying for the 2007 cycle, I'd retake the MCAT, improve your verbal, and apply next year. The MCAT is now offered something like 22 times a year. It'll save you from having to rush and maximize your chances, since it seems like verbal is your only block.

I agree with this part -- no point rushing. In a rolling admissions process, a person's odds go down the later into the cycle it gets, and so with a 28 and a low verbal, the odds certainly are not fantastic if you are just starting the app process now. Unless you (OP) think the score is the best you can do (based on prior practice tests), you should seriously consider a retake. A couple more points or even a more balanced 28 will open more doors.
Use the time to get some clinical experience, if you don't have some already (you didn't mention it). Good luck.