MCAT score too low for MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OPanchor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Other info:
1 publication (no where near 1st author)
Research experience at Chicago's Lurie Children's Memorial Hopsital Summer 2012.
GPA: 3.93
Typical EMT stuff: ~100 hours.
Club exec for tutoring services.

If that summer research experience you list is all you have, you have bigger problems for MD/PhD admissions than your MCAT score, which is low but not necessarily prohibitively so as long as the rest of your application is strong and you apply appropriately (ie a combination of lower-ranked MSTPs and fully-funded non-MSTPs).

K31, Sorry I was not clear in my stats. the publication I got was from my institution, which I have worked at for almost 2 years. Do you mind elaborating on the "fully funded non MSTP"s?

Members don't see this ad :)
K31, Sorry I was not clear in my stats. the publication I got was from my institution, which I have worked at for almost 2 years. Do you mind elaborating on the "fully funded non MSTP"s?

MD/PhD programs that offer the same financial perks to students as an MSTP. An MSTP differs from a non-MSTP MD/PhD program in that it has received federal funding for the purpose of training MD/PhD students.

Some examples of fully funded non MSTPs would be Penn St., Dartmouth, UMass.

Here's a list of MSTPs: http://www.nigms.nih.gov/Training/InstPredoc/PredocInst-MSTP.htm

Thank you for the information red doctober. Does anyone else have an input on what they think, and what i should do, with my MCAT score? :/

I was in a similar situation as you. I had about the same score, which I actually received conflicting advice from reputable people: advisors, professors, dean of med school admissions. Some said retake, others said not to waste my time and risk doing worse. I ended up retaking and improving my score although I took it as if it was the first time (i.e. 3 months of hard studying.) I'm currently in the process of applying, and looking back I am glad that I retook. My application list of programs would have looked very different had I not retaken. I do know a person who got into a few top-20 USNWR-ranked schools' MSTPs with a similar MCAT and research experience, so it is possible. However, that person had very good service activities and I'd say was an exception and not the rule. Personally, if you were to apply with that score, I would agree with K31's advice.

Thanks redoctor, I think I'm going to go into some massive consideration on retaking.. I'm just afraid of the risks of getting a lower score, etc.

My MCAT went up 6 pts on the second time. I would encourage you to take a realistic approach, evaluate how you do on the practice tests (3R, 4R, 5R, 6R, 7R, etc.), and then retake. You need to take 2 months off to study, though.

First, there is no such thing as a bad MSTP. That said, 32 MCAT will limit your options. I think you still end up with a decent shot at some of the schools ranked 20-50 in less desirable locations.

Standard disclaimer: I have no crystal ball. I'm assuming you're not URM.

Or of course you could retake. I'm borderline on that recommendation in your case because I believe you still have a good chance of landing at a strong program. I also think the suggestion to look at fully funded MD/PhD non-MSTPs is a good option. Though you may also want to apply MD as backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.