1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

MCAT Score

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by Hopetocure2012, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Hopetocure2012

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    MCAT Score Breakdown
    PS 7 VR 14 BS 14
    Total: 35

Major: Biomedical Engineering, Nuclear Physics, Biochemistry

Would you retake the MCAT with these scores. I am applying to top tier schools. Also I know I could have scored a lot better in my PS, it was a timing issue where I had to mark all answer choice A for the last 10-15 questions. I accidently made the mistake of trying to be too perfect on the PS section and spent too much time on 2 of the passages.

Should I retake if applying to top tier schools (retake in September)?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rockyDoctora

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Weird looking breakdown................... I would actually be really happy with that score I would feel.

4. PhaseShift11

No idea, I'm not even American, but I just wanted to say wow @ your score.

Dude if you didn't mess up PS you could have gotten one of the highest scores :oops:
    Not that you want to hear that right now lol, but anyway.

For what it's worth, generally PS is considered the least important, and your overall number is still quite high.

What do you consider "top tier"?

5. Hotshy

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yes, retake especially if you want to apply to top tier schools.

6. Hopetocure2012

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Top Tier = Johns Hopkins, Columbia, Duke

7. tn4596

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    wow dude,
    u are a engineering major and u got a 7 on PS? but 14 on VR holy...
    any tips on how to get that VR score?

8. Naijaba

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Generally I'd advise not to retake a 35, but most schools auto-reject anyone who has a 6 in any MCAT category. It's likely that top schools auto-reject anyone with a 7...

9. Hopetocure2012

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Would retaking it in September affect my chances? Also, would lower MCAT score schools accept me with the current score while in the meantime I try for a retake? Or do all schools wait until you all MCAT scores are in before they can invite you for an interview?

#8 Hopetocure2012, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  10. Swoopthereitis

7+ Year Member

Honestly,

There are a ton of schools that would accept you with that score. Often times schools value VR more than either of the other two sections. You have a killer verbal score that is probably going to be extremely difficult to replicate. I'd sit on it man. You will even get looks from the upper tier schools, I mean you got a damn 35. That is really really good. PS is the least relevant section of the MCAT in regards to medicine, so I'd take it and run with it.