MCAT scores and acceptance (not a "what are my chances thread")

Soccer885

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2006
531
0
34
Florida
Status
Medical Student
First off, this isnt a "what are my chances thread?" I have a legit question about scores and medical schools. If you would like to weigh in with telling me I have a shot or not, that's fine, but that's not what I am fishing for.

So I have a bit of a problem. I plan on retaking the MCAT this August because I was disappointed in my score from April (24 Q). I just started studying again for the MCAT this past Monday (7/24). I am really scared that I wont be ready for the the August one since I only gave myself less then a month to study (I was taking some demanding summer classes that had just finished). How much will the schools look at my new MCAT score come October when scores are released? How bad will it look if I do worse then I did before?

Another question I have is that I listed on my application that I plan on retaking the MCAT in August, but I want to be considered for an interview/acceptance based on my 24Q as well. I think I have a good shot at getting accepted considering that I have a 3.9 GPA, great extracurriculars and great lor. Will schools consider me with my current stats or will they wait until my August scores?
 

shttthttle

Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2006
95
0
Status
Pre-Medical
26 M

Accepted at KCUMB, NOVA, DMU, CCOM
Rejected from MSU-COM (I sent the secondary in two weeks before the deadline)
 
OP
S

Soccer885

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2006
531
0
34
Florida
Status
Medical Student
shttthttle said:
26 M

Accepted at KCUMB, NOVA, DMU, CCOM
Rejected from MSU-COM (I sent the secondary in two weeks before the deadline)
This wasnt what I was looking for, but thanks for the input.

I just want to know if doing worse on the MCAT in August will negatively effect my chance of getting into med school? Also, will I still be considered based on my current MCAT score or are the schools inclined to wait until they recieve my score from August?
 

Dancing Doctor

Redneck Woman
10+ Year Member
May 28, 2006
238
0
Clawson, MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Soccer885 said:
This wasnt what I was looking for, but thanks for the input.

I just want to know if doing worse on the MCAT in August will negatively effect my chance of getting into med school? Also, will I still be considered based on my current MCAT score or are the schools inclined to wait until they recieve my score from August?
If you do worse then I cannot imagine the school would look favorably on you unless you have a reason: documented illness, death of a relative, etc.

If told most schools will wait until October when scores are released. I would say if you are unsure don't take it apply and see what happens. If need be, plan for a retake in April.
 

dtrain5

Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2006
144
0
37
In a van down by the river
Status
Medical Student
You would be taking a huge chance by deciding to take the MCAT in August considering the fact that you just started studying. I would ask a few questions: What classes did you take this summer? If they were classes that you need for the MCAT, you could view the whole summer as a study session. Second, how much did you prepare the first time you took it? If you took it cold turkey and scored a 24, that's not bad. If you took a prep course and studied 20 hours a week, I would say no way to the August MCAT! Your GPA is stellar, and the whole point of applying is to get an interview. I would say that with your stats, you should get some interviews.
 
OP
S

Soccer885

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2006
531
0
34
Florida
Status
Medical Student
dtrain5 said:
You would be taking a huge chance by deciding to take the MCAT in August considering the fact that you just started studying. I would ask a few questions: What classes did you take this summer? If they were classes that you need for the MCAT, you could view the whole summer as a study session. Second, how much did you prepare the first time you took it? If you took it cold turkey and scored a 24, that's not bad. If you took a prep course and studied 20 hours a week, I would say no way to the August MCAT! Your GPA is stellar, and the whole point of applying is to get an interview. I would say that with your stats, you should get some interviews.
For the MCAT in April, I studied my butt off! It was more like 30-40 hours a week for several months. That being said, I know I didnt do as well as I could have or should have done. There were some problems that I had the night before the test that I feel messed me up next day. My practice exams were so much beter (well maybe not so much, but upper 20s lower 30s). I just dont know if I am ready for August :scared:.

Thanks for everyone's input so far, I really appreciate it.
 
OP
S

Soccer885

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2006
531
0
34
Florida
Status
Medical Student
Dancing Doctor said:
If you do worse then I cannot imagine the school would look favorably on you unless you have a reason: documented illness, death of a relative, etc.

If told most schools will wait until October when scores are released. I would say if you are unsure don't take it apply and see what happens. If need be, plan for a retake in April.
Is that really true? Then it wouldn't matter much if I took it or not in August because my application already says that I will be retaking it in August. I was hoping the schools would still look at my application before October :eek:
 

CuttinEmUp

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
424
0
Status
Soccer885 said:
Is that really true? Then it wouldn't matter much if I took it or not in August because my application already says that I will be retaking it in August. I was hoping the schools would still look at my application before October :eek:

Look..the only options you have is either submit now or wait until after August. When or how the adcoms look at ur application, no one here can answer for you.

Most on here will tell you to submit now. I dont think your really asking any valid questions, EITHER SUBMIT...or WAIT. Dont worry about the august test, if your not confident with the rest of your application (IE: the rest of it is weak), then you probably not going to fare so well even if u score a couple points higher on the august test.
 

dtrain5

Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2006
144
0
37
In a van down by the river
Status
Medical Student
Soccer885 said:
For the MCAT in April, I studied my butt off! It was more like 30-40 hours a week for several months. That being said, I know I didnt do as well as I could have or should have done. There were some problems that I had the night before the test that I feel messed me up next day. My practice exams were so much beter (well maybe not so much, but upper 20s lower 30s). I just dont know if I am ready for August :scared:.

Thanks for everyone's input so far, I really appreciate it.
Well that is a horse of a different color. I wish I could say there is a clear cut answer, but ultimately I say go with your gut instincts. I would add, not like you didn't already know, if you get a low 30's score your second time around (August or otherwise) you will get an interview to every school you apply. I am sure you also know, but it is something to consider, after August the test is going to all computer based. There will be a test date offered in January, so if you did score well the next time around I am confident you would still get in this application cycle.