MCAT Scores Arrived in No. KY!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RainaNoelle

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw the mailman drive up and figured there was no way in hell the scores would be here since nobody else had posted about them arriving yet today, but when I finally went down to get it, there was the envelope!!

I'm not as thrilled with my scores as I'd hoped though...ironically I did pretty crappy in my major and in the writing samples (two things I should be best in). I got a 11 VR, an 8(!!) in PS (I'm a physics major and felt that section was easy...guess I was wrong), and a 9 BS (not terribly surprising, as I've not taken any organic yet, and never had any advanced bio other than anatomy/phys). The one that really knocked my socks off was that I got an "M" on the essays!! I really wasn't expecting that...I've spent a lot of my life as a professional writer, and writing is never something I've had a problem with. Oh well.

I'll just have to hope they like my decent VR skills and appreciate my life experiences. :) Good luck to all of you still awaiting scores, and good luck to everyone applying this year!!

Raina

Members don't see this ad.

Your verbal is excellent and the writing sample is scored via monkeys throwing darts at a list of letters, so don't worry about that. I'd say now concentrate on pushing your strengths, and have some answer when they ask you why your major was your lowest subscore. Best of luck --Trek

Thats a competitive score! It will definitely get you into KY everything else being o.k. And besides it seems that for you everything else is outstanding so go party. If you're interseted, I'll put down $200 that you get into med school this cycle. I love making quick cash whenever I see the opportunity. I'm expecting $150 from a friend in MO who has severly underestimated his Aug 2001 MCAT score. I was his MCAT teacher this summer; how silly of him to have bid that much. I'm gonna be rich.

Members don't see this ad :)
<HUGE SMILE!> Thanks guys...you both really made me smile. :D I know the whole med school process is quirky, so I'm trying not to have any preconceived notions about it. I'm not sure I feel very competative, but I'm not a very competative person at this stage of life. ;) I just want to get through, learn as much as I can, and help others get through too however possible. :)

Besides, I'm stubborn too...if I don't get in this year, I *will* be back again, and again, and... :)

Raina the stubborn red-head

rainonelle,

At least you were able to open the envelope w/out having a heart attack. I applaud you on that! Congratuations on that 11 in Verbal. I would love to get an 11 on my Verbal. Unfortunately, I don't see that as a realistic score right now. I definitely think the high Verbal will work in your favor throughout the process. Don't worry about the writing score; that's a bunch of bologna!! If we've gotten this far in our education, we CAN write!! Do us a favor and keep us posted throughout the year.

Congratulations!
;) :) :)

You've got me scared about the PS now! I scored a 9 on that thing last year. This year, I was hoping to do better. I'm a chem major, and also thought that it was easy (in comparison to the others). I'm really worried now! WHEN IS THIS EVIL MAILMAN GOING TO SHOW UP!!! Any MCAT scores in FL yet?!?! Noooooooooooo!!!!! :eek: :D :eek:

raina,
what does the dredded envelope look like.....????? Not that I'll know today,
my mailman only left me junk mail! :(

Oh, by the way, I'd love to have your scores! I know that we all strive to do even better and some schools may want more, but your VR was great and I heard that's the one they look at the hardest!!
Your grades in your field will most likely hold much more weight than the PS and BS sections! GOOOD LUCK!
L

Congrats rainanoelle. Your almost there, just a little further. :cool:

Congratulations! Those are great scores. A pretty similar thing happened to me. I did really well in verbal, and did lousy on the writing sample (a P). It really surprised me, because I've always done well in writing classes, and have often been complimented on my writing by professors. I also did worse than people who I took writing classes with and who did worse than me in the class. I've come to the conlusion that the writing sample is basically meaningless, because it really isn't any measure of your writing ability. Even moreso than the other sections. That's also probably why med schools don't really consider it too heavily. Anyhow, thought I'd chime in, and let you know that you're not alone on that one.

Good luck,

Adam

Once again, as far as Florida is concerned, the scores are in - I got mine an hour ago - sneaked from work to go check my mailbox. It is finally over, oh the wait, and the torture in the dreams... Now all I have to do is pray the AAMCAS will fix their system next year when I will apply to med schools. (I took my MCAT early, just in case). Good luck to all, Val

gosh, now I want to get home from work--I'm nervous now. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :confused:

Pendulum, nope! No heart attack opening the envelope, only a mini stroke. :eek:

Seriously though, thanks again for the kind words everyone. I am really hoping things will work out well. I guess there's nothing left to do now but continue the wait and continue second-guessing my chances! LOL!

slptodoc, the envelope is a plain white window envelope with 'MCAT' in black letters for the return addy, so it's easy to spot. Luckily there wasn't any white powder in it either. ;)

Best wishes to everyone!!

Raina

Hey, dtreese!! Another Kentuckian! I didn't catch that before. Are you applying this year to all the local schools too? Good luck!! :)

Raina

I haven't been on the board in probably a couple of months, so no surprise you didn't notice. I'm applying to UofL & UK--I hope. My frikkin AMCAS app didn't go through properly till last week & who knows if it'll get processed in time. I HATE those people!!!! Oh, and I didn't get my scores today, so now I'm really annoyed. Congrats on the scores, btw. Where are you applying?

Aww, sorry your mailman is so cruel dtreese. :( Hang in there...I'm sure you'll get yours tomorrow. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you. :)

I didn't apply until the 20-somethingth of September myself, so I'm not much ahead of you there. I'm applying to UK, UofL, U. Cincy, Wright State, and UNC-Chapel Hill. With my goofy MCAT scores I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't have applied to more schools to have a better chance. I'm really not sure which ones will be willing to take a serious look at me. Hopefully my app will look intriguing at least. :)

Here's hoping we both get those interviews!

Raina

Darn it! darn it! darn it! All I got in the mail was a bunch of junk mail and an astronomical credit card bill (those secondaries really add up!)... I guess I'll just take some cimetidine (my acid making machinery is a little hyperactive these days) and keep on waiting!
BTW - thanks for letting us know what the envelope looks like!

Good job rainoelle,

I also got a M on verbal, and I got accepted at UK today!!! I'm sure you'll get in there, and likely at some of your other schools as well.

Good luck also Dtreese, I hope to see both of you next fall. :) :)

Hey, congrats, Jamie!!!!! I'm really happy for you.

Rainanoelle, I just had an informal meeting yesterday with Libby Sklare, the dir. of admissions at UofL, and she said my 10-8-10 from April was in the right ballpark. The averages at UofL are all 9's. She also all but told me that if you haven't done something like shadowing a doctor or volunteering at a hospital, you're not gonna get in. That's a big part of what they want to talk about for the interview

Jamie, thanks for the kind words (but I'll bet your other MCAT scores were higher, considering how quickly you got accepted at UK!! ;) ) I am still so excited for you! :)

dtreese, congrats on getting to talk to Libby! Did you just call and arrange it...? I never know how to do that sort of thing without feeling like I'm driving them nuts. ;) It is good to hear that my scores may not be too out of line with UofL. Luckily I've had some experience shadowing and volunteering in a neonatal ICU during the last year, but it's not as long or as much as I would have liked. I'm "11-months pregnant" :D now as my husband says and I've not been able to do a lot of the things lately I'd like to do (really 8 months and some and have been on bedrest for the last month and a half, but who's counting? ;) ) I'm hoping I'll be back in the NICU and observing docs again soon after the baby's born. :)

Just out of curiosity, which is your first choice dtreese? UK or UofL? Have you visited UK yet? I'm always interested in learning which one people prefer and why. :)

Raina

Yes, Raina, my other scores were higher, but I have several friends with scores almost identical to yours and dtreese's who have gotten in at both Louisville and Kentucky. I'm sure you both will do fine. :)

P.S. Talk to Libby, You can't ask for a nicer person (except maybe UK's interview folks, you'll see) in this process. She seems to truly want to help us get accepted.

Good luck to both of you. :)