Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

MCAT scores / chances

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by tomodachi, Nov 27, 2000.

1. tomodachi

tomodachi New Member

Greetings fellow future DO's.

My story: 3.6 GPA U.C. Berkeley. 4.0 post-bacc science GPA, taught English in Japan for two years = life experience. Research experience at Duke University in Radiation Oncology Dept. Plenty of volunteer work.
    Here's the clincher: MCAT: 5 verbal, 10 Physical, 9 Bio and R. I don't want to take that stupid test again and I know this 5 is ugly. Incidentally my Bachelors is in Rhetoric.
    My question dudes and dudettes: Will Adcom's overlook this repulsive 5 and look at my other strenghts? Thoughts?

Also where can I find average MCAT scores for successful applicants to osteopathic schools?

2. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Possibly, depending on how liberal the school is. Some of the higher-up schools with their stodgy AdComs would round-file your application just because of the 5V. Remember that DO schools, and I hate saying this but apparently it's true, "look past the numbers."

Tim of New York City.

3. Jonesy

Jonesy Junior Member

I would not give your five to much thought. DO schools often look at more than just numbers. They look for people with exactly what you seem to have demonstrated: desire, commitement, and someone who can relate to people. Through your work after undergrad you have demonstrated commitement to higher education, and through your teaching abroad you have allowed them the opportunity to explore your ability to communicate with diverse cultures. It sound to me that you are a good candidate for the DO program. Who cares if you don't read so well!!! The point is that with a 4.0 in your post edu. experiences the ability to learn and be successful is definitely there.
    Good Luck,
    DUDE!

4. Test Boy

Test Boy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Seems like your verbal score might be a fluke. Why don't you just take the exam over? Do you think you can get higher than a 5? If not, you can just apply and see what happens.

5. tomodachi

tomodachi New Member

Jonesy,

Thanx for the encouragement bro. This has been an emotional roller coaster.

Testboy,

Verbal has never been my strong point. I am thinking about taking it again, but am not thrilled about the prospect. But hey, life sucks sometimes and then you come out swinging. I am determined so if that's what I have to do I will. I will be a damn good physician some day!

6. kyoung

kyoung Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm not sure how other schools are, but MSU-COM will not give a secondary to anything lower than a 6. A friend of mine found himself in the same situation. I hope other schools will look past it!

7. enigma87

enigma87 New Member

I agree. The first time I took the MCAT I scored a 9P, 10B, and 3V. I knew I was capable of much better, and my practice tests had put me much higher. Somewhere, something went wrong...it happens. By the way, I scored much higher the second time around.