MCAT scores - do schools use latest or an average?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

u2ecila

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Do med schools average your different MCAT scores or just take the best score?

thanks!
A

Members don't see this ad.

u2ecila said:
Hi,
Do med schools average your different MCAT scores or just take the best score?

thanks!
A

I believe different schools use the scores differently. I looked at the MSAR which is usually the best source and it doesn't seem to say exactly. You might contact a particular school and ask if you're interested. They will have all the scores right in front of them and it's human nature to use all the data available when making a tough decision, so I'd bet they at least consider all of them.

I agree. They're going to use all, even if they say they use your last or highest or average score, they're not going to just cross out the other scores so adcom members can't see them.

exactly, it's the same thing with getting into college, despite the fact they only ask you to report your highest score in each category, they are all on the transcipt and there is no way they are not going to look at them, and there's no way once they see them they are going to discount them.

Members don't see this ad :)
it depends more so on a per school basis..and how the rest of your file is and how many times u took it ..ie: 4 vs 2x and how much of a leap there is.....

well adcoms at Cornell told me that...they sort of laughed and said "of course we look at them all and use them all"