MCAT scores for ABP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fathead Minnow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To whom it may concern:

I am currently in the process of sending in my necessary document for the Ireland medical schools via the ABP. I am a master's student studying Biology with a 4 year BSc. in Biology (Great Distinction). One of the requirements for for application is send to send a copy of your MCAT scores.... This is where the conundrum lies. I have two sets of MCAT scores, both of which are really nothing to brag about and i don't now which ones to send. One has a realatively low score on the written section and the other has a much better written score, however, it has a very low Biological score. Like i stated earlier i have been studying Bio for 6 years now ( i actually teach 1st year students) and am not sure how i pulled that off other than maybe i mixed up my order on the scantron bubble sheet. None the less... does anyone have a recomendation as to which results i should send? which section do you think they focus there attention on... Written scores or Biological scores??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

FHM

Members don't see this ad.

You have to send both. Your scorecard will indicate how many times you wrote it so they will see if you leave one out.

Yes, you must send both. I wrote it multiple times, being under-prepared and I am retaking in January. I submitted one scorecard with my ABP application (listing all of the scores).
:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well if you could only send one which one would you send?

In the ABP instructions it does not mention anything about individuals who have writing the MCAT more than once... Therefore, would it be acceptable to print off just a copy of you best scores and send them in with your application?

In the ABP instructions it does not mention anything about individuals who have writing the MCAT more than once... Therefore, would it be acceptable to print off just a copy of you best scores and send them in with your application?

Technically, you could just send the one you find to be the best. Had I realized that I could do that, I would have. Darn!! Better to be honest than have it bite you later though.

Oh sorry one more thing.That writing score is silly. I would send the score with the better Biology score!!! Don't even think twice about that silly writing score.

I would send both.
1) They know how many times you have written it (I thought they automatically include all scores?)
2) Think of it this way: they can see all your highest numbers using both sets of scores (yes, even though there are low ones). This shows that you still have the ability to achieve those numbers, plus the fluctuation shows that you could have potentially done better.
3) If you send all, no questions asked. Better be safe (honest) now than regret later.

Where are you studying at the moment?

Good luck.

I couldn't help but notice that both you (Docolive and Jedibookworm) referred to the word 'honest', as if your implying the i am being dishonest. I just want to clearify that I'm not being dishonest or trying to 'scam' the system. That was the intial way which i interpreted the ABP application instructions. Like i said earlier, the instructions state nothing about applicants which have written the MCAT more than once. For all i know maybe sending all your score is benifical, just as JediBW stated or maybe it is a disadvantage... who really knows? (except, of coarse, the decision committees at the Irish University's).... None the less, i have now created a Kafuffle larger than before.... what to do???

Docolive and Jedibookworm have either of you applied in years past?

Cheers,

FHM

Oh ya, one more thing... Docolive, why do you say that the written section is silly? why do you mean by that?

Cheers,

FHM

Hi Minnow,

Just want to clarify that I didn't mean it that way. Releasing all scores is the standard for US schools, so I would presume it safe to do the same for Irish schools. You wouldn't want them to ask for "missing scores" a few months after you've submitted your app, would you? "Forthright" is a better word than "honest" in this case.

In any case, I suggest that you phone the ABP office. Note: they seem to have an automatic email response because it's deadline week, so make a phone call instead.

Yes, it's good to realize that med school admissions, whether here or abroad, is really unpredictable. Only the admissions committees know...

This is my first time applying to ABP and med schools in general.

About the written section, I think what Docolive means is that the written section is not looked upon as heavily as the other sections. Or, he could have meant that the score or test doesn't reflect one's writing ability....which could potentially be said for any test. :)

I did actually try calling today and they have answering machine stating that the work load there is extremely heavy at the moment and that they won't be taking any calls. So it looks like i'm up #$@* creek without a paddle. I have a question for you... did you send all you appilcation info via fax or snail mail? and what did you recommend for you references?

Cheers again,

FHM

I remember ABP told me to send in ALL scores. I'm not sure if the schools will actually notice if you don't but the policy is they want all your scores.

Also, I seem to remember the official MCAT scorecard will indicate when you have written the test and thus, how many times you wrote it. There will also be a code for the school to check to see if the scores are correct. If they care, they WILL know if you leave out a score sheet. Again, that's assuming they take the effort to go through with the MCAT verification.

Members don't see this ad :)
Snail mail.

I've heard some people apply in March, so a few days late shouldn't matter (I hope). I mean, mine hasn't even been received yet, and I sent it on Friday. Sigh.

I though it doesn't have to be in until December 15th... you just had register before November 15th....am i wrong? Can we send via fax?

Cheers,

FHM

The deadline is Nov.15th. After that, the cost goes up and your application is looked after everyone else's.

Don't send in the one with the crappy writing score. They care about biology more IMO. My biology score was good and my writing score was crap (O) and I got in.

I thought it was mandatory to send in all of your scores....that is how it is with U.S. schools. This is my second time applying to medical school, but first time applying to Ireland.

Regarding the writing section, I think it is more of a section designed to exhaust you before the Biology section. It is rather silly in that I have scored an S and T both times; however, this probably has little impact on me as an applicant overall. Medical Schools consider your Physical Science, Verbal, and Biology sections to be most important.

The deadline is Nov.15th. After that, the cost goes up and your application is looked after everyone else's.

So... should i even bother sending my application in then? Should i just wait until next year?... what do you think?

Cheers,

FHM

Courier it now. I sent it by Xpress Post Canada last Friday but it hasn't arrived yet!!!! It's supposed to take 3-5 business days so it should have arrived yesterday, today, or even tomorrow. I'm so frustrated!

But then, they still need time to sort out everything (including photocopying x times for x number of schools) before they send apps to Ireland. So if they get it early next week I'm thinking it would still be fine (i.e. considered as the first group of apps).

It's definitely not too late. ABP won't even send your applications overseas until January I believe.

Hi Minnow,

I just received a confirmation email that my application is now complete. It says that Irish medical schools won't begin reviewing applications from North America until mid-January 2007. So there is no need to panic, but still try to get it in ASAP.

Again, good luck!

EDIT: Make sure it's not unreasonably late so that it's not marked as "LATE"

I'm Busting my Butt as we speak... Thank you so very much for you info

Cheers,

FHM