MCAT scores- last how long?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AsianGuy26

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going for my pharm.d and then after depending on factors possibily a MD/DO. Anyway, I am thinking about taking my MCATs this summer and was wondering just how long do the scores for these test last?

4-5 years?

Thanks ahead of time.

Members don't see this ad.

Most places only accept scores received within the last 3 years

Members don't see this ad :)
it depends on the school, but i think most will accept MCATs from up to 3 years ago.

also, why do you want both a PharmD and MD/DO?

Various factors, but the two most telling is that my undergrad GPA isn't competitive for medical school and the second is to see whether or not being a doctor is right for me.

For all intensive purposes... a pharm.d can be equated to a masters despite what some people say. I would like to take more time to expand my extracirriculars while providing myself with a degree in a field that I am interested in that is related to medicine. My goal is to one day become an anestiologist which is intricately related to pharmacology.

Thanks for your replies... I'm thinking of applying during the end of my P3 year.

it depends on the school, but i think most will accept MCATs from up to 3 years ago.

also, why do you want both a PharmD and MD/DO?

I thought it was 3 years across the board? But the bigger question is why are you trying to do both? You'll only have time for one in the end and thats alot of debt to incur to only be able to take adavantage of one of the degrees. Plus you may come off as indecisive to adcoms.

Various factors, but the two most telling is that my undergrad GPA isn't competitive for medical school and the second is to see whether or not being a doctor is right for me.

For all intensive purposes... a pharm.d can be equated to a masters despite what some people say. I would like to take more time to expand my extracirriculars while providing myself with a degree in a field that I am interested in that is related to medicine. My goal is to one day become an anestiologist which is intricately related to pharmacology.

Thanks for your replies... I'm thinking of applying during the end of my P3 year.

There are much more efficient ways to do this rather than getting a PharmD. A post-bacc would be much better for your GPA than a graduate school degree. They'll teach you everything you need to know about anesthesiology in med school/residency so theres no need to try to supplement that.

Its your choice though, so if you really want to go to pharmacy school then go for it. But it'd be much quicker to just spend 1 or 2 years working on your GPA rather than going for 4 years to a professional school and not using the degree.

i don't know that a PharmD would help you get into med school. Also, I don't know that being a pharmacist would give you that much insight into being a doctor.

If you're looking for a program that will help you get into med school, I would suggest a special master's program (SMP) or a post bacc if you don't currently have the pre-reqs done.

i agree with the other poster who said that trying for both will make you look indecisive. plus, pharmacy school is a professional school. if you're having doubts about it, then why waste a spot that could go to someone that is really interested in pharmacy as a terminal goal?

Your undergrad GPA could still haunt you if you don't do phenomenal in pharm school. Either way, your undergrad GPA is still separate and important. You won't have an easy time, this route, if medicine is your ultimate goal.

Shadow some docs if you want to see if medicine is right for you. Pharm school will not help you determine this.

For all intensive purposes... a pharm.d can be equated to a masters despite what some people say.

I have no idea what this even means.

I would like to take more time to expand my extracirriculars

When do you think you're gonna have time for ECs in pharm school?! You'll be busy. Take a year off if you need "time." Attending professional school will not afford you much of this luxury.

...while providing myself with a degree in a field that I am interested in that is related to medicine.My goal is to one day become an anestiologist which is intricately related to pharmacology.

There's something even more related to medicine than pharmacy...they call it MEDICINE. Why are you convoluting such a long, arduous, expensive path, voluntarily and unnecessarily?

I think you are in some serious need of guidance.