MCAT Scores Rapidly Approaching "Sell By" Date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlm3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first time posting on SDN and I am in need of some advice. Here's my deal:

I applied to both MD and DO schools for Fall '06 - received one interview (and waitlist) but ultimately was not accepted. My undergrad GPA was low (cum 2.6) from a rigorous school and my MCAT was a 30 (10-10-10). I did a year of AmeriCorps and am now working in clinical research and doing volunteer work in a free clinic - thanks to which I've had lots of patient exposure plus a couple of small, non-peer-reviewed publications. Since my low GPA is the major problem, I am starting a post-bac program this fall.

My question is this: I took my MCATs in August '04 and so for most schools they will expire in August '07. If I apply for Fall '07, my application will not reflect my post-bac grades. Yet, if I apply for Fall '08, I will have to re-take the MCAT...and I'm not totally confident in my ability to achieve an even split a second time. Normally I score higher on verbal and lower on PS, so actually almost passed out when I saw the even split the first time around. :p

So while I make myself comfortable between a rock and a hard place...does anyone have any advice? Or maybe going through/been through the same thing?

Thanks, guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Take the MCAT again during your postbacc. You will likely score better, since all the sciences will be fresh in your mind. You'll just have to buy several review books and basically sleep with them until you get the score you want.

This way, you'll get a GPA boast from the post-bacc & (hopefully) improve your MCAT.

:luck:

If you have a post-bac advisor I would ask them about reapplying for 2007. I did a post-bac at UCSF and while the advisors told me not reapply in back to back years, there were other students that did do this and were successful at getting in. If I were you I would try my hardest not to take the MCAT again. I let my first score expire and it is the biggest regret I have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for sharing your experiences. It seems that everyone I ask has a different opinion - even my pre-med advisor doesn't know what to tell me. She said that she hasn't had many students re-apply without their post-bac grades, but those who did were not successful.

I guess I need to re-evaluate whether it's worthwhile to go through this all again! :scared:

Have you called the schools you're interested in and asked if they definitely would require you to take the MCAT again?

I think that applying again with the same gpa is pointless since you are probably being screened out automatically upon receipt of your AMCAS. They likely would never even see your post-bacc grades. If you're pretty sure that a reapplication in 2007 would be unsuccessful, you probably shouldn't do it. I would say that you want to be in the best position possible when you reapply again, because it gets harder each time you reapply (and expensive). It sounds like you have some amazing ECs. Take some time, get your gpa up, maybe take the MCAT again and reapply with a nice solid reapplication. You're right, if you don't optomize your chances, it probably isn't worth it to go through it all again.

As far as the MCAT, I am so sorry you have to take it again (but check with the schools, might not be necessary). The good thing is that you did well the first time and are likely to do well again. You don't need a perfect split. Hey, maybe the second time you'll get a 10 on PS and a 12 on verbal! That wouldn't be bad. :) Good luck and hang in there!

I was on the same boat...

My best MCAT score expired this year. Luckily, I got in.

How exactly does the whole MCAT scores expiring thing work? Say I took the MCAT in April 2004. If I would have to reapply this year would my MCAT scores still be good even though they expire in April 2007? or can I still use them for one more year?

The application years that your MCAT scores are good for would be 2004, 2005, and 2006.

MoldyCheese said:
The application years that your MCAT scores are good for would be 2004, 2005, and 2006.

"The application years that your MCAT scores are good for would be 2004, 2005, and 2006."

It depends on the school. There is no set dates. Certain schools use them for 3 years. Other schools for 6 years..

Just thought I'd post about how this is all turning out. I was accepted to a post-bac program that eliminates the "glide year," allowing me to be admitted to a D.O. school for Fall '07. If I get in there, I won't have to re-take the MCAT.

Now, if I don't get into that school...Kaplan here I come (again!). :eek:

acrobat said:
"The application years that your MCAT scores are good for would be 2004, 2005, and 2006."

It depends on the school. There is no set dates. Certain schools use them for 3 years. Other schools for 6 years..

I also took the Aug '04 MCAT. Can someone who has MSAR 2007 check and see if there is some general statement about MCAT scores, or if each school lists the last score they'll take. Thanks!

mlm3 said:
Just thought I'd post about how this is all turning out. I was accepted to a post-bac program that eliminates the "glide year," allowing me to be admitted to a D.O. school for Fall '07. If I get in there, I won't have to re-take the MCAT.

Now, if I don't get into that school...Kaplan here I come (again!). :eek:

How did you like the Kaplan? Did it help you?

PrttyGyrl2006 said:
How did you like the Kaplan? Did it help you?
I think the Kaplan material is sound. They have a plethora of resources for their students. However, if you learn better from instruction, you may or may not be at a disadvantage. Some instructors are better than others. Try looking at other prep courses such as Princeton or ExamKrackers. I've used both Kaplan and EK. Kaplan has more comprehensive material, but the EK tests are better, explanations are lacking though.

acrobat said:

Just for clarification....

If you took the MCAT in 2004 (august or april) they are good for 2005, 2006, 2007. If you took the test in 2004 the first year you would be applying for acceptance for would have been 2005 not 2004

Just some encouragement for you- I was in the exact same boat and had to retake it because the scores expired. If you took a course with a company before, contact them and see if you can take it again at a reduced cost (I had to pay 1/2 price again. It sucked, but paid off- scored 1 point higher).

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that it happened, it worked out, and I'm currently in the glorious summer in between MSI & MSII! (Surpassed only by the even glorious-er summer pre-MSI- you have a lot to look forward to!)

I'm in the same boat. My MCAT expires this year. I have a 10 10 9 Q (29Q). I know it's not great, but I can't seem to focus on retaking the MCAT yet since I won't necesarily do better.

Do people get in with a 29 (and good gpa)? I'm at a point of indecision. Should I retake?

mlm3
You're in my boat. My old one was 30P. It went out fo date this year, I retook 34Q. If you haven't gotten in yet...you've got nothing to lose. You're better off being on the offensive then trying to preserve the status quo anyway.

medapple said:
I'm in the same boat. My MCAT expires this year. I have a 10 10 9 Q (29Q). I know it's not great, but I can't seem to focus on retaking the MCAT yet since I won't necesarily do better.

Do people get in with a 29 (and good gpa)? I'm at a point of indecision. Should I retake?

acrobat said:

I don't know anything about allopathic med schools, but some DO schools will likely accept your MCAT score if you want to apply for Fall 2008. You'll need to call individual schools. Make sure you ask them what is the latest date you can apply. For many of them, you may be able to apply as late as Aug 2007 (3 yrs from your MCAT date). For others, you can apply even later in the cycle, though applying in June is best!

hey looks like im in the same boat. I took the mcat aug 2004 and am applying this fall. I guess my scores will be expired for most schools, but Im retaking the mcat beg of aug this year. Can I still apply to schools in June? or will my app be delayed since I would have to wait for my mcat scores to come back from august?

I've heard from some other people that schools will start looking at my application early b/c I've already taken the mcat :S Any advice will be helpful :)

Thanks