MCAT scores to shoot for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dutchie000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So every time I think about taking the MCAT I get terrified just like everyone else... So I figure the best way to prepare is to know exactly what I'm in for and study ASAP. So I have a few questions about it...

First off, with a 3.42 GPA and decent ECs what score should I try to shoot for to make me competitive?

2nd of all, Im in a weird situation where I am not done with my prereqs in my senior year of college. I haven't taken the 2nd semester of ochem and won't be able to until spring semester. Should this prevent me from studying at all or can I start early? Do you need classes like immunology and cell and molec to be successful?

3rd, I dont really know what to do semester. I was planning on doing school both fall and spring, but I didn't get a class I needed to graduate and it makes paying for a whole semester of classes a little pointless and expensive. However, my advisor recommended that I take English and a few other classes because I took AP English and didn't take regular English in school . Would it actually be worth it to pay for a whole semester of classes I dont need that look good for med school or am I better off getting a job in a clinical setting and continuing to do volunteer ems/research?

thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

I only took 3 Bio classes and got accepted. As long as you meet the pre-reqs and have everything else solid then it won't matter much if you take classes like immuno. etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, shoot for as high as you can. never settle. BUT, anything over a 25 and you're fine.

First off, with a 3.42 GPA and decent ECs what score should I try to shoot for to make me competitive?

Don't do anything related to applying until every requirment is done. And personally, I think biochem, cell biology and molecular biology should be requirements for medical school. I've seen my students do fine in immunology even without it in their background.

2nd of all, Im in a weird situation where I am not done with my prereqs in my senior year of college. I haven't taken the 2nd semester of ochem and won't be able to until spring semester. Should this prevent me from studying at all or can I start early? Do you need classes like immunology and cell and molec to be successful?

The AdCom won't care about the extra classes unless you have done poorly in the past (which your GPA says not so) and so I'd recommedn working and doing more EC stuff. Good luck!

Would it actually be worth it to pay for a whole semester of classes I dont need that look good for med school or am I better off getting a job in a clinical setting and continuing to do volunteer ems/research?

thanks all![/QUOTE]

27+. 25 is lower than the average.

So I should wait to study for the MCAT for once I've finished ochem? I've done the first semester, I just need the second. Would it help to start practicing the other two sections? I guess as it stands I won't apply to med school until the summer of 2014 anyway. So I can do well on the MCAT without the upper level bio? :) I am so excited to apply to med school! The path to get there is just annoying haha (except the extracurriculars, those I can live with)

You could probably get away with not taking second semester organic before the MCAT.

By upper-level bio do you mean like biochem and cell biology, etc.? You've taken bio 1 and 2, right? As long as you've taken bio 1 and 2, I think you'll be fine.

Yup yup, I took bio 1 and 2 although one was through AP credits and I'm not sure how that will look. I took biochem though and have to take at least microbio for my major. I just read that someone had a hard time on the bio section of the MCAT because it was so heavily based on immunology and cell and molec. If I just study I should be able to get those, right?

And yeah, I definitely plan on finishing all the prereqs before actually taking the MCAT! I just want to start studying... Especially if im taking next semester off.

Immunology? I didn't take it and I did fine. Biochem should help you, though. I think it's a great course to take.

Go ahead and start studying. The MCAT is all about the application of the basics. That's probably where a lot of people have the most difficulty.

Are you waiting for the Spring to take 2nd semester ochem because your school doesn't offer it in the Fall? If that's the case, one suggestion would be too look at a JC that offers it in the fall. It would give you something to do for the semester, and you would be preparing yourself a little bit earlier for the orgo stuff on the MCAT.

The plan actually is to take advantage of the DO replacement policy and take the first semester of ochem to get rid of my C and prepare for second semester. So I guess maybe I can start looking over stuff and just save the ochem stuff for later? The MCAT is something I want to just get over with ASAP and do well on, I'm dreading it like crazy though!