1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

MCAT scores vs. Practice Test scores?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Sprockette, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Sprockette

Sprockette Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am curious to know...for those of you that prepared for the MCAT by taking the AAMC practice tests, how comparable were your practice tests scores to those you received on the actual test?

Don't feel compelled to post your scores if you aren't comfortable doing so, I would just like to know whether you felt the AAMC practice tests were an accurate predictor of your actual scores. Thanks! :cool:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Sandhya

Sandhya Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Also, if anyone took Princeton review or Kaplan, how close were your practice test scores to what you really got?

Thanks.

4. teapot16

teapot16 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I took the AAMC Practice 5 through princeton review and I received 11BS 14PS 8V. For the April MCAT, I got 13BS 14PS 8V M. I say it's a good predictor as long as you take it with conditions comparable to the real one. Dont get me wrong, there's nothin' like the real one but it's close enough. At least in my case.

5. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Although my score wasn't freakishly high, I also matched quite well with the practice tests. Something like 28's and 29's on the practice tests and then a 30 on the real thing.

6. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Mine were pretty much in line with my Kaplan practice tests, although I did better in verbal (12 as opposed to 10's) and worse in PS (8 as opposed to 10's). Came out with a 30 which is what I got in practice for the most part (well, later practice tests, the less said the better about early practice tests!).

7. USeF

USeF sunny L.A.
    10+ Year Member

AAMC 4: 8V 11-12P 10B
    Real Deal: 9V 11P 11B [Last August]
    Of course my AAMC test conditions were all but real. We were in a cafeteria with CTn [College tele networks] playing videos in the background before we got kicked out halfway through Bio ;)

8. Rumit

Rumit Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I was consistantly getting between 33 and 35 on the AAMC practice tests (I-IV). I took Kaplan as well and always scored between 30-33 with verbal being my best subject. I took it in April 2000, and got 13-15V, 11PS, 11BS, P. I'd say the later AAMC tests were close, and the Kaplan tests were harder, especially their physical sciences. However, the class is completely useless, so it was a lot of money for those 5 tests in retrospect.

Hope that helps,

Adam

9. Coalboy

Coalboy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    AAMC 5: 12V 13P 13B
    Both physical and bio were one question off of a 14. I also took four five Kaplan practice tests, with a best score of 12V 13P 14B.

Still waiting on my real scores from August, but I'm afraid I messed up the bio section. Time will tell, I suppose.

I can hear myself whining to the admissions people now: "But I did so well on the practice testssss...."

10. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I normally scored about 4 points higher on my practice tests than my actual MCAT score. My practices were normally 1 point higher each and my verbal was normally a 12 and I got a 10 on the actual test. I think that had to do with my complete lack of sleep the night before.

11. csgirl

csgirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Coalboy: There's no way to know exactly what you got on the AAMC V as they only offer scores of 9, 10-11, and 12+. So then why would you say that you got a 13 and a 14... are you just guessing? Do you have access to a scale that does divide into 13 and 14... if you do please post it. I know lots of people who would like to see it and I've never head of anyone else having one. Thanks.

Jalbrek: What practice tests were you taking?

Good luck to both of you with your August scores. :)

12. Coalboy

Coalboy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    csgirl: I had it scored by Kaplan, so that's where I got the 12/13/13 scores from. I know what you're talking about with the 12+ score that AAMC provides. I guess the Kaplan scores are based on all the Kaplan students who took the test. It would have been nice if AAMC had provided a more concrete score, but I guess it all depends on the statistics of everyone's scores. I think I got something like 5 wrong on both BS and PS, but I'm not sure.

13. DNALadder2002

DNALadder2002 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Study the practice MCATs from AAMC, especially Test III, IV, V. They are the best indicators!

jagster92 likes this.
  14. csgirl

csgirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I got a 35 on AAMC V, an 11, 12+, 12+ (I think). I'm hoping for a 30-32 on the real thing. Seriously, I thought the real thing was way harder than AAMC V.

15. sundevil1

sundevil1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Scores on my practice tests (AAMC II, III, V) ranged from 27 to 31. However I knew that if I eliminated stupid math and reading mistakes on the real test that I could get up to a 35-36 possibly. On the real thing I did do better than on the practice, getting a 33 just by slowing down and double checking my work vs. speeding through the practice tests.

16. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    The tests I were talking about was the Kaplanb tests which I took regularly the spring break b4 the test. I took AAMC 4 and scored 3 points better on it than my actual score.

17. beached whale

beached whale Member
    7+ Year Member

Here's a depressing example - I scored between 33 and 39 (no ****) on my practice MCATS. Just got my scores today... 33. I know I should be happier than I am, especially since I took them six months pregnant and had a hard time studying b/c morning sickness. Lets just say, in a family of overachievers, I am still considered the runt of the litter. :(

If it helps at all - the 33 was from the AAMC test III - I thought it was by far the hardest.

18. TwoSteveSquared

TwoSteveSquared Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Nobody scoring 30+ is allowed to complain. Makes people feel bad. ;)

19. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Very much agreed. You'll get in with a 33 somewhere and that should be everyone's sole goal.

20. jglemonade

jglemonade Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I got a V-10,Bio-11,Phys-10 on AAMC IV, AAMC V i got V-9, BIO-11,Phys-9. On the real thing i got a V-7!!!! Yes I still don't know what went wrong... Bio-11, Physics-8. Maybe it was nerves, I don't know. But what i do know is that I have retake it in April! :confused:

21. kobe8

kobe8 Member
    7+ Year Member

My real score was 5 points lower than my practice test average. I think the culprit was anxiety, especially on the verbal.

22. In a series of Kaplan Practices Tests and AAMC Past Tests before the August exam, I got a 29, 30, 31, 32, 31, 30 in that order. On the August MCAT I got a 36. NO FRICKING IDEA HOW THE HELL THAT HAPPENED!

23. Vasiley Zaitsev

Vasiley Zaitsev Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

My practice scores on AAMC IV were 11 BS , 12 V, and 9 PS. My real MCAT: 9 BS 9 V and 8 PS.

I'm not gonna make any excuses for my score, but know that I'm gonna knock the teeth out of the one April 2002..Deo Volente, of course :)

owcc16

24. Vasiley Zaitsev

Vasiley Zaitsev Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

morning sickness @ the end of the 2nd trimester/beginning of third? hmm...somebody is full of bs....33 rocks.

owcc16

25. snowballz

snowballz Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Although unusual to have morning sickness after the first trimester...it isn't unheard, but it is rare. Just a thought. A 33 is a great score.

Alicia

26. beached whale

beached whale Member
    7+ Year Member

I am serious about the morning sickness ... mine lasted 20 weeks and when phenergan (sp?) didn't work they ended up putting me on Zofran (normally reserved for chemo patients). Lucky for me, I didn't have to work and my teachers were very supportive. I'll grant you that it is rare for it to be so bad, but it runs in my family. I only stopped throwing up at 27 weeks. Lucky genetics, I guess.

Anyway, I'm sorry if I seemed silly complaining with a 33 - the truth of the matter is that because of our family situation and my husbands job we are only applying to two schools and that puts me on edge. One of them is a state school, which is great, but I am still anxious. Sorry if I pissed anyone off. :(

27. VC15

VC15 MS4
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    AAMC V: 11V/14P/12B
    MCAT Aug. '01: 11V/14P/13B/R writing

AAMC V was done a week before the real test, and seemed about the same in terms of difficulty (except verbal, which was harder on the real thing- though not by THAT much).

28. BCgirl

BCgirl Member
    7+ Year Member

VC15:

Do you remember what test form you had?
    So, it took 3 days for you to get your scores in Toronto... I hope they get to Halifax for Monday!!!! :) This wait is brutal...

Thanks! :)

29. VC15

VC15 MS4
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    BC Girl, I had form BG. Good luck! :D

30. Jessica

Jessica Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

On my first Kaplan test (the half length assessment) I got a 27 (in Jan.) On AAMC V I got a 10V, 12+ ps, 12+bs in early Aug.) In the end I managed to up my score 10 points from the original assessment test. The scores I got almost exactly mirrored how I did on practice exams (Kaplan and AAMC) right before the test. I would say take as many full lengths as possible before the test (make them SERIOUS mock exam tests... do it like you would have to take the exam on real MCAT day, and if you can, take a full length in the same room that you will be taking the real test in)

31. The Fly

The Fly Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Remember that it is the CURVE that determines what your score is, not how hard or easy the exam is/was. All that matters is how you do with respect to everyone else.

That being said, I scored between 37-40 on each practice AAMC exam. I think I scored a 12V, 13P, 14B on AAMC IV and something very close on V but I only scored a 34T on the real thing. Breakdown: 11V, 11P, 12B. Its close, but not that close...

-Geoffrey

32. gobears

gobears Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I took Kaplan over the summer of 2000 and took the MCATs in August, 2000. I consistently scored between 33 and 35 on the AAMC and Kaplan practice tests. I got a 37 on the real one though.

Most people say (including me) that the PS is easier, V is harder, and BS is about the same on the real test.

I've heard a lot of people say that they're like me and did better on the real one.

33. drdrtoledo

drdrtoledo Pharm Delicious
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I took Kaplan - half-heartedly. I wasn't able to make all the classes but they offered video lectures. I sat threw those and felt they were an excellent refresher course. My final practice score was IDENTICAL to my real MCAT. Could be a coincedence... but I had been out of the classes for a while and my first practice test was a disaster. The more confident I got the better my score. I feel they were an accurate reflection.

34. figure five

figure five Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i took princeton review after not having any science coursework for a year and a half...my scores on the practice tests went something like 21, 25, 31, 33, 37...with an 11v 14p 13b on the real thing. i thought that tpr's coverage of the sciences and loads of practice problems/tests were really helpful, and the practice tests a pretty accurate guage in terms of difficulty

35. DemonDeacon

7+ Year Member

I think this will come in handy when taking practice exams.

36. Whoa, why has this thread been resurrected?

37. TheFlash

TheFlash Playtime Is Over
    10+ Year Member

It's crazy that the total number of views this thread has had since its inception will be more than doubled in one night. Goes to show how much sdn has ballooned in popularity in the last couple years. :thumbup:

38. ASDIC

ASDIC The 9th Flotilla
    15+ Year Member

Medical Student
    does anyone know when to take the practice tests?

i am takin a prep course and they are giving out the practice tests pretty early...i havent completed studying everything.

shud i finish studying then take the practice tests or take them early?

thanks

39. YoungFaithful

YoungFaithful Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Take them as you go. I suggest one every saturday until test day. just my (and kaplans) opinion.

By the way, I scored the same on the real thing as I did my last 2 practice tests.

40. LaurieB

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I just posted my practice scores in my profile for those interested.

41. tautomer

7+ Year Member

Wow LaurieB, thx so much for that detailed info on your profile.

42. PCAndrew

PCAndrew Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm pretty sure Kaplan is crooked. I scored (P-6) (V-9) (B-6) on a book test, then straight 11's on the real thing. Think about it, how better to recruit a bunch of monied pre-Meds than by scaring them into spending?

43. No Egrets

No Egrets Bachelorette of Science
    7+ Year Member

I scored about 1-2 points higher per section on the real thing than my AAMC practice tests. Note: i took flashcards for the bio section and crammed during lunch; although most sources don't recommend this, i found it essential for last-minute memorization of hormones. :cool: