MCAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

urs

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what is the acceptable MCAT scores for most medschools around the country.

Members don't see this ad.

The average MCAT score for matrciulated medical students at MD schools is somewhere between 29 and 30.

The average MCAT score for matriculated medical students at DO schools, as posted by someone else and I haven't confirmed it, is somewhere between 25 and 26.

W.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want scores for specific schools you have many choices:

- go to the school's web page

- medschool.com reports some scores at http://www.medschool.com/students

- find a book like the Princeton Review Complete Book of Medical Schools

- look at the U.S. News & World Report Website at http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/beyond/gradrank/med/gdmedt1.htm You can click on any school in the top 50 list and then compare it to any other U.S. school, even those not on the top 50 list. This gives lots of information about the schools including mean GPA, average indebtedness, etc. Some question the ranking methods which is to be expected when anything is ranked but there is still a lot of good information in a nice convenient spot - the comparison tables are great but they don't always work correctly.

Don't aim for the average score of the school(s) you are interested in.

Double digits in every category, combined with a solid GPA and strong background will help you along.

Best of luck!

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)

The lower your GPA, the higher a MCAT score you will need. I only got a 27, but I got accepted due to high GPA (3.8) and great extracurriculars.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by fyock:
The lower your GPA, the higher a MCAT score you will need. I only got a 27, but I got accepted due to high GPA (3.8) and great extracurriculars.

I absolutely agree. My friend got into Yale last year with low MCAT score (26), his GPA is 3.9

I would shoot for a 4.0 and 45. This would optimize your chances to matriculate.

Side note:

I don't have to worry about the MCAT any more. I am going to med school!!!!!!!!

I am glad that mess is over!!!!!!!!!!

Wooo, congratulations!!!! Great to see that you got in!! Due you mind if I ask which school?

UAMS (University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences)