MCAT scrap paper and pencil questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Megalomis

To know, is to know that in which you don't know
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I had a few random questions regarding the MCAT:

1. Approx. how many scrap pieces of paper does the AAMC provide per section?
2. Has anyone here ever been allowed to use an automatic/lead pencil over a standard pencil?
3. Can break time be used to sharpen pencils, and get more scrap paper--or do these these things need to be done during the exam?
4. Are pens ever allowed or provided by the testing center?
(I’m guessing this is a no—which is a bummer because it seems like I can jot things down a lot faster with a pen)

Thanks in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You can have as much paper as you want, they give you a few at a time but you can request more. you do have to turn in your current paper packet to receive the next one though

You can only use the provided old style pencils with no moving parts.

Reactions: 1 user
1. In my experience, test centers give you a booklet. I've never needed more than that. However, you can request as much as you'd like (but you have to finish the provided paper before asking for more).
2. Only the provided old fashion number 2 pencils.
3. No, you can't sharpen them. However, you are provided with 3 pencils. I used one for each section essentially.
4. Pens are not provided or allowed.

Like you I was worried about these things, but when you are taking the MCAT these will be the least of your worries. In my first MCAT experience (that I had to void), the screen was blurry and I couldn't quite read the screen properly. Second experience was much better. But, the above didn't come into play.

Hi everyone,

I had a few random questions regarding the MCAT:

1. Approx. how many scrap pieces of paper does the AAMC provide per section?
2. Has anyone here ever been allowed to use an automatic/lead pencil over a standard pencil?
3. Can break time be used to sharpen pencils, and get more scrap paper--or do these these things need to be done during the exam?
4. Are pens ever allowed or provided by the testing center?
(I’m guessing this is a no—which is a bummer because it seems like I can jot things down a lot faster with a pen)

Thanks in advance!!!

Also the intensity of the real proctoring makes you forget all the minutia. Waiting in a room full of people freaking the F out about their future careers based on the next six hours is distracting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for taking the time to reply, Elfe and Msspeedwagon (and that totally sucks about the blurry screen situation btw).
I'm still hurting over the idea of having to use number 2 pencils for a computerized test...but..so be it!
Thanks again!

I only used one booklet for the entire test, however, if you use a lot of space it would be advisable to request a new booklet before the start of each section. That way you don't waste time waiting for a proctor while you are on the clock.

If you're writing enough notes to either use up the entire booklet or wear down an entire pencil, you're probably doing it wrong (and wasting too much time).