Quantcast

MCAT senior year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lindsay98

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I am an anthropology major at the University of Vermont and I have recently decided that my interests lie in medical anthropology, which would first require an MD. I will not finish the required pre-med courses by the spring of my junior year, but will be able to finish them by the spring of my senior year. Should I take the MCAT then? Will taking a year off in between my undergrad and med school hurt my chances of admission? Thanks!

Mobius1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't take your MCAT until you finish the prerequisites, prep for the test with a study book or formal prep class, and score repeatedly in your target zone on full-length times practice tests. Taking a year off while you are applying will not hurt your application in any way.

megamega

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I studied during the summer between my Junior and Senior years and took the MCAT in August at the beginning of my Senior year and applied in September. I liked the idea because it allows me to go right into medical school after I graduate. You could try that.
Medical schools don't care if you take a year off though. Most of the other interviewees that I met on my med school interviews had graduated the previous year or the year before that, so it should be alright.