MCAT Sophomore year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

macfan101

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking the mcat between the summer of my sophomore year and junior year. My question is this: Lets say hypothetically that I end up with a 20, then I retake it again the summer between Junior year and senior year like majority of the people and score a 35; Will medical schools see the 20? How will that 20 impact me?

I heard from some premeds that its not good to take it twice because Med schools would average out the 2 mcat scores and the average would count as your mcat. Is this true??

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, they will see all of your MCAT scores.... The MCAT is a test you will only want to take once. Getting a low score and then subsequently getting a high score will be worse than getting a high score once. Medical schools use multiple test scores differently. Some take your highest, some average them, some take your most recent scores.

Different schools also have different expiration dates on test scores. Some will only take scores from 2 years ago, others more. You might have to retake if you don't get in your first try.

Most premeds take the test shortly after/during their junior year. Doing so will give you more of a foundation in the sciences and make it so your test scores will last longer.