MCAT state of mind

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dedicated2be

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this question is a little broad, but any tips/advice would be appreciated. For those of you who already studied for the mcat in summer, or are planning on studying, how did you continue to stay motivated throughout your studying?
I've read a lot about taking break days, and if you know you want to be a physician you'll get through it etc etc. I don't want to hear that again. Just asking about concrete mental or physical things you did on a daily basis to stay motivated? Also, how many of you truly studied for 8+ hours a day? I know its relative and some people need more/less time, but just wondering. Did any of you take a mini vacation/break in the summer in between studying? Or is this a complete no-no. Just trying to get geared up mentally. I am fully committed, just want to be in the proper mental frame of mind as well. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Exercise. I did P90X alongside my MCAT studying, but for me it was my 3rd time going through it so if you're not up for something so intense, mild but consistent exercise will work.

I'm also kind of a foodie. So my break days would consist of hitting up friends and getting my grub on, or looking up a recipe and cooking/baking something (usually in a big quantity!). YMMV, but find something hobby-esque you can occupy your time with. That way, you can actively engage yourself in something else.

The other thing is to keep break days just that - BREAK days. Don't even think about touching that EK/TBR/TPR/Kaplan book on a break day. There is no such thing as 'light review', or 'just checking answers' on a break day. Wake up, do what you want and feel rejuvenated for the next stretch before your next break.

I studied 8+ hours a day when I was studying for the mcat last summer, and I didn't have a long time so break days weren't in the schedule. Luckily, I was very strong in gen chem after tutoring it for 10 hours a week for the year before. So, on the days when I wasn't really feeling the studying too much I would do a section in TBR gen chem, and at least push through it. Those wouldn't take me near as long as the other subjects and they weren't as stressful since I got most questions right. The days when I felt more motivated I did subjects I found tougher for me.

Of course, that's not to say I never took a day off; if I really needed to, I did. The motivation to do well on the mcat pushed me through most days...coupled with large amounts of energy drinks/coffee.

State of Mind: Dominate it
Staying motivated: Difficult, just need to push through it (there were times I just stopped caring about what I got on tests.).
It's different for everyone, but I would say try and avoid studying 8+ hrs a day. I did that a couple of days and I was doing worse and felt bad too. It's still doable, but i would prefer not doing that.
Take breaks if you have time, but don't make them too long.