MCAT Strategies, Techniques, and Tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capnamerica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Self-study books don't seem to have many techniques, etc. when it comes to tackling passages. My friend who has his first TPR passage today said that they learned how to tackle a passage and look for key words in their first class today. Can someone share techniques they find or have found successful when tackling passages? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm the reason for this is primarily especially when it comes to science passages, there are a huge variety of passages so no one-standalone method will be a surefire success for all of them. Personally I adhere to the 2 minute rule of scanning through the passage for any important information, I notice where graphs/trends are, notice a quick trend, then move onto the question. If thy ask for Reaction 1, then I go back to there and luckily for me. I just skimmed where it was and did not labor over it.

My reasoning is that I may understand it while going through it but more often than not, they don't even ask a question on it. So why waste your precious precious time on something they might not ask about!

My 2 cents!

Self-study books don't seem to have many techniques, etc. when it comes to tackling passages.

What books are you using, because there are some out there with strategies and techniques? Doesn't mean that this thread isn't a good idea, but if you want materials with strategies, then this thread could help with that too.

I'm using EK series, Kaplan course books excluding their bio book and verbal book and princeton course books from 2003 excluding their physical sciences stuff and verbal stuff. In a month I should be getting TBR books, at which points im gonna dive into those. Any advice?