MCAT study blues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Murse2DO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start my study journey for the MCAT but had a quick question for some advice by others out there. I know a lot of people say that study for the MCAT should be the only thing they do. Don't take any additional classes or work part/full time. I already currently have my bachelor's degree, so school isn't an issue. I am actually already a registered nurse. My problem is, I work full-time but cutting back on hours just isn't a possibility. I was just curious if there is anyone else out there in my similar situation or has been in my situation in the past. If so, what was your plan of attack towards studying and working? Any suggestions, advice or help would be great. Also, I have all of the TPR and examkracker materials but hear so many people talk about TBR. Should I spend the money on TBR or just use what I have?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm getting ready to start my study journey for the MCAT but had a quick question for some advice by others out there. I know a lot of people say that study for the MCAT should be the only thing they do. Don't take any additional classes or work part/full time. I already currently have my bachelor's degree, so school isn't an issue. I am actually already a registered nurse. My problem is, I work full-time but cutting back on hours just isn't a possibility. I was just curious if there is anyone else out there in my similar situation or has been in my situation in the past. If so, what was your plan of attack towards studying and working? Any suggestions, advice or help would be great. Also, I have all of the TPR and examkracker materials but hear so many people talk about TBR. Should I spend the money on TBR or just use what I have?

Thanks!

I work full-time ~ 50 hours/week. For studying I have been waking up at 4:30AM then studying 5AM - 9AM before work with one or two hours in the evening during the week and then ~6 hours/day on the weekends. It SUCKS but it is only for a few months. You can do it! :)

I work full-time ~ 50 hours/week. For studying I have been waking up at 4:30AM then studying 5AM - 9AM before work with one or two hours in the evening during the week and then ~6 hours/day on the weekends. It SUCKS but it is only for a few months. You can do it! :)

I work full time and this has worked for me as well. It takes about a week to adjust to such an early morning schedule, but this ended up really working well for me because I simply could not bring myself to study after a long day at work and getting off at 7 or 8 PM.

4:45 AM - wakeup, get ready for work.
5:30 AM - start studying
8:30 AM - leave for work
between 5-8 PM - get off work and study a little bit

Weekends: study from 6AM - 6PM on one day and have the other day half off to spend with friends/SO/relaxing. This is my schedule and I have kept it up for three months. Working full time while studying for this god forsaken test is a nightmare, but remember that this is only for a little while.

I would probably score 3-4 points higher if I wasn't working at the same time, but thus is life, eh? Good luck! :)

Best,
C

Thank you bothy for the advice and encouragement. It does help a lot. I will definitely be taking your words of advice into consideration. The only other issue I have is that I currently work nights and my shifts are 12 hours and with drive time, a total of 14 hours. Kind of a crappy schedule to try and make work but I can't and don't want to give up on my dream.

Thanks again!