Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.

MCAT Study Books

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by nikeshp, May 15, 2008.

1. nikeshp

Banned

Pre-Medical
    After reading multiple threads, I have gathered this.

TPR and TBR - good for a comprehensive review, maybe if you have never seen the material. May slightly be overkill though, probably be presented with more information than necessary.

EK - best for a review of the material if you have seen it before or is fresh on your mind. also, the 101 verbal passages is a must.

kaplan - had the best practice material.

any more information, anyone agree or disagree with anything? also, i just order the EK complete study package, and how many passages and practice is in there?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    In general I agree. Remember that the Kaplan practice material largely refers to all the stuff they offer via their online course. Also, their verbal isn't great. Another thing, get EK's 1001 Biology book.

There's a little end of lecture quiz for every EK lecture that consists of a couple passages and discrete questions. There are also some questions within the lecture. Do not depend on the EK study books to provide an ample amount of practice problems.

4. nikeshp

Banned

Pre-Medical
    Do you think I need anymore practice passages than the ones that EK will provide? I plan on taking all the AAMC practice tests and any other practice tests I can get my hand on, but do I need more individual passages?

5. JA Prufrock

JA Prufrock Serenity Now!

Pre-Medical
    probably. I'd recommend getting your hands on the TPR hyperlearning science and verbal workbooks, if possible. Also, even if you don't plan on using TBR for content review, all their books have a bunch of passage-based questions. I guess it depends when you are taking the test though.

6. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Definitely, that's why I said EK doesn't provide enough practice problems. Doing timed practice problems and tests are the key to success.