MCAT Study During Pre-Reqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zoopeda

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently halfway through my first year of pre-reqs (post-bac), over a year away from my exam. Obviously my current priority is acing my science courses at hand, but having not really read through the MCAT study materials and content outlines, I'm wondering if I should be reviewing the associated MCAT study materials while I go through the pre-req basic sciences. What would you all recommend? I probably wouldn't start taking tests, but the content could be helpful as a first run through the material. Any feedback is appreciated, as I would like to make the best and most efficient use of my time.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Best thing you can do is learn the material extremely well while studying for your classes. Mcat review is just reviewing your pre reqs so if you study your pre reqs while studying your pre reqs you'll just end up wasting mcat resources. So just learn the material WELL the fiest time around so that way you have lots of time to do practice tests etc when the time comes.
Tl;dr: no.

Content? Is it safe to assume we're hitting all the MCAT subject material in each class?

Hi all,

I'm currently halfway through my first year of pre-reqs (post-bac), over a year away from my exam. Obviously my current priority is acing my science courses at hand, but having not really read through the MCAT study materials and content outlines, I'm wondering if I should be reviewing the associated MCAT study materials while I go through the pre-req basic sciences. What would you all recommend? I probably wouldn't start taking tests, but the content could be helpful as a first run through the material. Any feedback is appreciated, as I would like to make the best and most efficient use of my time.

Thanks.

Honestly, if you really learn and not just memorize the material from your pre-reqs, that will cover 90% of the MCAT material. I think you may be jumping the gun a bit, but to each their own. Your pre-reqs generally are your "first run through the material" that is featured on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking the MCAT on March 24th, and I've done all of my pre-reqs in the past 2 years. Here's a few things I wish I had done:

Yes, you want to focus on doing well in your classes right now, but it's not a bad idea to start doing some MCAT studying now. Know which topic areas the MCAT tests on, and be sure you have those down solidly when you cover them in class. Learn them inside and out, all their extra details, and don't forget them as soon as finals are over (like I did, whoops! had to reteach myself a lot -- its amazing what one forgets in 2 years). For calculations and equations, make sure you have all the equations memorized. Get to know those really well, and try doing your homework problems with the equations pulled from memory (and then recheck when you're done). And if you feel confident enough, try doing that as well in the exams even if they come with an equation sheet (then be sure to check your work).

Just a couple of tips that I think might help.

Know which topic areas the MCAT tests on, and be sure you have those down solidly when you cover them in class. Learn them inside and out, all their extra details, and don't forget them as soon as finals are over

This is the best advice someone can probably get on this subject. I'm half way done with content review now and there isn't a single thing I've seen that I haven't gone over in my pre-reqs. It's still fairly fresh in my head since I've done them all in the past 2 years and I've gotten all A's but I think I would have focused more on some subjects that I went over had I known those subjects would be on the MCAT.

MCAT content is covered in your pre-reqs. There's nothing new. Get a list of the chapters of the review program that you want to take and make sure you're paying attention when those subjects come up. I think TBR has their chapters listed on their website.