MCAT Study Plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emy01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like some advice on my MCAT study plan. So, I went to college for 2.5 years, took some time off (1.5 yr), and am going back to finish up in the fall.

Prerequisites I have taken: Bio, Chem, O-Chem, Psychology, and Sociology

Prerequisites I am taking in the fall: Physics I & Biochem I (also Microbiology, but idk how much that matters for MCAT purposes)

I would like to apply next summer. My GPA isn't great so I need to submit my application as soon in the process as I can. For these reasons I would like to take the MCAT in January - this also gives me some buffer time if it doesn't go well.

So my plan is to read through the Kaplan books this next month before the fall semester starts & then review/re-read/study flash cards/relearn concepts throughout the semester (with taking 16 credit hours + ECs...?) and then study hard doing practice exams for 1 month (on winter break Dec 16-mid January depending on test date)

I will be taking the MCAT without physics II or biochem II but I'm hoping Kaplan will cover whatever I need to know from those.

Does this sound like a decent plan? How much time should I commit each week to MCAT review during the semester?

I can't really think of any other options but would love to hear your ideas!

Members don't see this ad.

I would like some advice on my MCAT study plan. So, I went to college for 2.5 years, took some time off (1.5 yr), and am going back to finish up in the fall.

Prerequisites I am taking in the fall: Physics I & Biochem I (also Microbiology, but idk how much that matters for MCAT purposes)

I would like to apply next summer. My GPA isn't great so I need to submit my application as soon in the process as I can. For these reasons I would like to take the MCAT in January - this also gives me some buffer time if it doesn't go well.

So my plan is to read through the Kaplan books this next month before the fall semester starts & then review/re-read/study flash cards/relearn concepts throughout the semester (with taking 16 credit hours + ECs...?) and then study hard doing practice exams for 1 month (on winter break Dec 16-mid January depending on test date)

I will be taking the MCAT without physics II or biochem II but I'm hoping Kaplan will cover whatever I need to know from those.

Does this sound like a decent plan? How much time should I commit each week to MCAT review during the semester?

I took t without physics 2 or biochem 2 and felt fine. You obviously need to teach yourself that stuff but this is doable with the books and khan academy.

I would try to do content review for 3 months or so where you go over everything and complete notes/flash cards, wallowed by two months of reviewing and taking weekly practice exams. I followed that general outline and think it serves well when also in school.

Study hard in biochem and micro those classes were personally invaluable for my mcat prep.

Good luck op!

For physics you may not need the course necessarily, but it is risky because sometimes the C/P section can either have no physics or quite a few passages. Studying the physics from the books may be difficult since it could tough to understand where the equations and such are coming from. You don't need biochem II. Biochem I knowledge + review book is fine

I'm going to disagree (respectfully) with Akela98. You won't need physics II, the Kaplan books do a fine job of teaching you everything you'll need to know for physics II. Biochem II is not needed on the mcat at all.

Your plan seems fine, what I would suggest doing after doing the kaplan books cover to cover is to get an extra set of books (ExamKrackers) and go through all of the problems they have.