MCAT study question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abby_Normal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I'm taking the MCAT in the spring and I am wondering how much time I should set aside to study (and yes, I am aware that it's an intense test). I know some people who took the MCAT after taking a summer prep course, so I'm wondering whether I should plan on leaving aside for MCAT review (independent--I'm currently abroad and consequently will not be taking a formal prep class) the same amount of time I would for a regular course? In other words, should I just plan on considering MCAT study as one of my classes this year, even though it's obviously something I"m not getting credit for?

I know everyone has different methods to prepare for the MCAT, but I was just curious if anyone has tried/thought about it from this angle.

Members don't see this ad.

In regards to not being able to take a prep course because you're abroad... what about taking one online? For example, Kaplan has an online version of their prep course. Just a thought ;)

I might do that. But my main dilemma is currently whether to take the equivelent of 16.5 credits a semester this year and have more time to work through my uber-thick McGraw Hill MCAT prep book or take the equivalent of 18 credits a semester and possibly have no free time what so ever (or not...it's a bit confusing). To put things in perspective, this is the start of my junior year and I already have 91 credits (need 120 to graduate) and two semesters of taking 19 credits a semester (18 is the usual limit at my school, 15 or 16 the average, I think), so not taking the extra 1.5 credits a semester should not destroy me. The extra course just sounds interesting and my ego likes taking at least 18 credits, but if I really should be putting those extra hours spent reading an extra 60-80 pages of polisci documents a week into MCAT study, I want to be able to do that. I've done the taking on so much work that I never sleep more than 5 hours a night, but I sort of don't want to do that again before medical school. (Or at least before next year when my life is replaced by a thesis.:D)