MCAT study schedule...what did you guys do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kilgore

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
sooooo...I plan on taking the MCAT in June and i have already started studying early october but i'm off to a slow start. Any of you guys having or had any trouble? I've been trying to follow along with the examkrackers schedule but it takes waaaay longer than anticipated to go through chapters, answer/review questions, etc. I'm still working on ch. 1 of all the examkracker books and it's already been a month since i've started! Hah! I mean, what with school and other miscellaneous things, i'm finding it more and more difficult to actually find time to study for this thing. What did you guys do? What kind of schedule did you guys use?

Members don't see this ad.

I was working forty hours a week over the summer, so when I got home I was usually burnt out tired. I tried to get in as much time each day as I could for dedicated studying - it turned out to about two or three hours a night; although some days I wouldn't study at all. I would recommend that you go through each ExamKrackers book separately; so, basically, pick a book and go through one chapter in it a day. Do all the practice problems as you go along, make notes (if that's what you're into - I never made any), and do the chapter tests (I didn't do any of these). It might not seem like much, but after a month and half you'll be through the whole set of books.

I think the key to studying is that you don't get overwhelmed with how much information there is - do a bit each night and, slowly, it will add up to something. After you're done studying the EK books, pick up the Audio Osmosis CDs and the AAMC practice tests. Listen to the Audio Osmosis CDs as often as you can - a couple of lectures a night (it will get tedious though) - and take a practice test each week. If you're weak in an area - focus on it. EK 101 Passages in Verbal Reasoning is always something good to continually practice on.

I hope this helps a bit. Take bits and pieces of what people suggest, modify it it, make it your own, and good luck.