MCAT Study Strategies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

han14tra

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I've been studying off and on for the MCAT for about a year and the highest that I have gotten on a practice test is a 24. For the last 3 months, I've been studying about 4 hours a day. I've just been reading the books and trying to memorize them. I've done a few practice problems (probably about 10 per chapter). I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. My scores on the AAMC practice tests were 20, 24, 24 and 22. Do you find doing a lot of practice problems helpful??

Members don't see this ad.

I think you need more content review...What was the breakdown on those aamc tests? If you're scoring less than a 9-10 on the sciences, than you need more review. But doing practice problems is helpful, like the tpr workbook or ek 1001.

I usually get 8s on each section. I just feel like I've memorized everything, but I can't recognize it in the context of MCAT questions.

you need to practice with passages more.
Knowing the information can only get you so far.
Practicing the MCAT type questions is what really improves your score.
Mcat isn't just about memorization....it's also about applying the concepts.
By the way getting 8's are a good start. Just try practicing passage questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I usually get 8s on each section. I just feel like I've memorized everything, but I can't recognize it in the context of MCAT questions.
That is a good start. The problem isn't so much with the content...do a lot more practice! Make sure you go over every question you miss to understand why you missed it...

Ok, so I've been studying off and on for the MCAT for about a year and the highest that I have gotten on a practice test is a 24. For the last 3 months, I've been studying about 4 hours a day. I've just been reading the books and trying to memorize them. I've done a few practice problems (probably about 10 per chapter). I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. My scores on the AAMC practice tests were 20, 24, 24 and 22. Do you find doing a lot of practice problems helpful??

hehe...sounded like me ...i started to realize its not the actual factual material i was not knowing...and obviously with your year of study it shouldnt be the problem either....it came to me and with lots of support from this form that the problem was the question style. i asked myself what the question was really asking. instead of having time extra when i finished the test, i take more time in analyzing the question and information provided. I ask myself, is it asking me for this? or is it this?..etc.

so my suggestion is to break down the question and make sure you know what the question is asking you! hope this helps.

gl,

jason

If you feel you know the content pretty good, then I think you should spend more time with practice tests and reviewing the questions. Know why you are getting the questions wrong and even check that you are getting the questions right for the right reasons. Basically, know that the though process that you are using while answering MCAT questions is right. This will significantly help you in raising your practice MCAT score. If I were you, I would spend more time review each practice exam that you take and do heavy post-game analysis. This is very very important!