1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

MCAT study tips from non-trads

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by premed5, Apr 20, 2007.

1. premed5

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hey everyone,

I know there is a specific MCAT thread but I wanted to direct my question to the non-trad students. I am about to start studying for the MCAT and was wondering what study tips/techniques worked best for those who were successful on the exam. One of my weaknesses is that I have the impuse to memorize everything and I know this is virtually impossible and otherwise not too beneficial for doing well on the test. Becasue I have such great friends, I have all books from Princeton, Exam Crackers, and Kaplan. So I guess my question is what resources worked best for all of you? I also puchased all the AMA Tests on CBT and plan on going through all of them. From what I've seen, I like Kaplan's flashcards and Exam Crackers' audio osmosis cds. Any strategies and/or study tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

premed5

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=280445

There are no special tricks or tips for older people. We all have to learn the same info and take the same test.

4. Kateb4

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    All I can say is that if you have kids/housework that is looming at home, get out of the house and study elsewhere. This has been my biggest downfall while trying to study!

5. menaniac

menaniac Moxious!
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    After taking a couple of practice tests on my own it was apparent that I'd really need to raise my score a LOT. I signed up for Kaplan Review (3 month class). Went to every class, did all the on-line work, studied their material, took every full-length test they offered. Raised my score 11 points (23 to 34). Best money I've ever spent, best use of time ever! Keep in mind, I'd been out of school 14 years, and hadn't yet taken Physics II or Organic Chem II, so they really did help me a lot! If you are fresh out of classes maybe you wouldn't need such extensive remediation, but the class is a terrific comprehensive review, as well as giving you great test-taking tips that you won't get studying the material by yourself. Those were also very valuable.

6. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Moving to MCAT Forum as non-traditional applicants read that forum and can reply there.