MCAT Study Tips.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AndrewWKRules

I hate my job.
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an engineering major who will be starting a post-bacc pre-med program next fall. Do you guys have any advice on best practice(s) to start preparing for the MCAT when starting pre-med courses fresh? I've heard keeping a detailed set of notecards is always good, but should I start preparing for MCAT sections as I take bio, chem, phys courses? It's a 16 month program which gives me ample time to study for the test on weekends.

Thanks! Any advice from MCATers is appreciated.

- The Dude

Members don't see this ad.

the best advice i can give you is try to really learn your class material well the first time around. although you can do well on the mcat by just taking the basic bio classes (genetics, biochem, molecular) classes such as physiology and other upper division classes help make the test a bit more understandable. The most important thing i can tell you from my experience is to not lose sight of the verbal section, so try to also take some classes that focus on humanities, or even read up a little bit on your own. When it actually comes down to mcat time, definately take a prep course to refresh yourself on the material, and finally, work hard the first time taking the test, b/c you don't want to be in my shoes having to take the test again!!

good luck!

thanks belljar,

i'm going to take an english writing course and a lit course... have never taken english in college. i really, really need to freshen up on my verbal skills.

- Duder

...and depending on when you decide to take the mcat, i think it's also really helpful to read from things like the new yorker, the nytimes, wall street journal (which many recommend but i think is not that helpful!) and things like this.

~good luck