MCAT studying as a supplement to finishing prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrince

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a junior almost a senior and I plan to take the MCAT around spring 2014 but this is my schedule next 2 semesters..

Organic 1 and 2
Physics 1 and 2
Biology 2

(obviously other classes but this is the MCAT material)

I was a late bloomer to the whole medical world was pre-pt before so I am wondering should I use the MCAT study material as a supplement with my classes? I am not sure what study material I should get either my parents think I should just follow along in the study material instead of going over it again after I finish the classes.
I really need help because I am totally lost on the best approach. I have strong study habits and dedicated so I want to do this the best way I can.

Members don't see this ad.

Also if I picked up the material now would it still be "valid" when I take the MCAT next summer

You are in the exact same boat as I am except the biology 2 part. I'm taking it also in the spring/summer of 2014. I plan on getting the materials to use ( heard the Berkeley Review was pretty top notch) and finish with my first semester of physics and org. chem. After first semester I plan on studying hardcore while taking notes here and there from the second semester of those classes. I believe it will help us because its going to be completely fresh for us when we hit the MCAT.

Obviously it will be a course load, but if you can manage your time wisely it will be better for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would advise you to wait and take the new MCAT after having graduated. Chances are if you just recently decided to apply to med school you're lacking in EC's as well.

I've noticed some of next year's applicants are rushing to apply just to avoid taking the new MCAT. Does anyone else feel like there might be more applicants than usual next year because of that, and then maybe even less than usual the following year?

Surprisingly I have plenty of ec since I did want to do physical therapy..

600 hours volunteering at hospital
~400 hours research for multiple sclerosis
Rugby co-captain
Treasurer for majors club
Attend annual and biannual sports medicine conferences
100 hours with children and trying to teach them health etc

I would advise you to wait and take the new MCAT after having graduated. Chances are if you just recently decided to apply to med school you're lacking in EC's as well.

I've noticed some of next year's applicants are rushing to apply just to avoid taking the new MCAT. Does anyone else feel like there might be more applicants than usual next year because of that, and then maybe even less than usual the following year?

My EC's are a tad bit lacking, but I'm getting a bunch of volunteering in right now and starting shadowing. I was in the Marines though and did a ton of leadership there, so that makes up for most of it.