Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

MCAT Studying question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by peppercat, Jan 4, 2002.

1. peppercat

peppercat Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

This is a totally stupid question. Well I'm only in my second year of university and will not be taking the MCAT for a year. Seeing as it is better to write the MCAT in April to submit the application earlier, when really are you suppose to study. Man, next year I'm going to br dead taking physics and other courses, how do you study for coursework and the mcat together. Some people have said that they study for 3 hours each day from like january to april. WHERE on Earth do 3 hours a day magically appear from. Its like either the gpa or the mcat will suffer. Then you say Hey just wait and write it in August, but I don't think its wise to risk slots being filled up before I even apply. I NEED to spend a lot of time studying for my science courses because I have trouble with them, things don't catch on as easily as some people and I feel as if I need to spend more time than the average person studying. Also I'm making up for a bad freshman gpa
    Any comments would be helpful.

2. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you really would like to take the MCAT in April and don't think you can find the time to study during the school year, take some time off and apply the following year. Remember, you don't get extra points because you complete your M.D. before age 25. It's not a race to see who can finish faster.

3. reesie0726

reesie0726 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Ideally, you should not take a heavy load the semester that you are preparing for the mcat. I would suggest taking some summer courses this summer to lighten up your load the spring during your exam. You do not want to overdo your self while trying to prep for the mcat. If the science courses come hard for you, do not take more than one or two max while trying to prep for the mcat. If that leaves you a little short, you could probably always pick up some science courses the summer after the mcat. Try to find some fluff easy A courses also while you are trying to prep for the mcat.

4. BCgirl

BCgirl Member
    7+ Year Member

Peppercat,

Are you applying to both Canadain and US med schools? You don't need to worry about taking the August MCAT and being behind in submitting applications in Canada.

I think the best thing for you to do would be to take the MCAT after second year. That's what I did. My summer sucked because I had to work full time and study, but I'm really glad I got the test out of the way. I would not want to write it while I'm taking classes.

I noticed that you're taking physics next year... that would cause problems for taking the MCAT this August. Did you take physics in high school? It's possible that you could teach yourself the physics for the MCAT over the summer. I found that a lot of my first year physics class covered stuff that I did in high school (but I was in BC for high school, so I don't know what Physics 11 and 12 are like in Nova Scotia -- if that's where you went to high school).

Many people must take the MCAT while in school. It would be a rough semester, but hopefully you would be able to work through it.

Good luck!! :)

5. peppercat

peppercat Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks for the responses,

I don't want to take the MCAT until I've taken physics. I have very little background in physics (grade 11) and I don't think I can (or that disiplined) to teach it to myself. I was thinking maybe if I start studying super early, like this summer to start to prepare for April. But then I'm afraid that I'll forget stuff I already studied. Has anybody actually studied for this test for nearly a year and was really serious, like not slacking for weeks at a time and had [email protected] results. Next year I want to take physics I and II, intermediate o-chem, physiology,humanities etc. So what I think i'll be taking will be not a light load but hopefully these courses will help prepare for the mcat...probably just like shooting myself in the foot though. :confused: I know really i should just stick with basketweaving 101.

Oh also, I think I'm going to apply to both US and Canadian schools.

6. maybe you could take the mcat in august, and apply to med school the next year. that way neither your mcat or gpa will suffer. but you have to be willing to have a year off between med school and college.

7. BCgirl

BCgirl Member
    7+ Year Member

Taking the August MCAT would only hurt you for admissions to US schools that are on rolling admissions (I'm not applying to US schools, so I don't know much about them -- that's right isn't it?).

If you want to go to school in Canada, then taking the August MCAT is fine, but you will have to release your scores and send in your applications without time to see how you did for most schools, I think (ex: UBC's application deadline was Oct. 1st and I didn't get my scores back until the last bit of Oct).

You could always apply to Candian schools and some US schools (which you might be at a disadvantage because of late applications). Then, if you don't get in anywhere (which hopefully wouldn't happen :) ), you could apply the next cycle without any problems. That way you wouldn't have to take a year off or anything.

For those of you that know more about the US system, how much of a disadvantage are people at when they take the Aug MCAT?

8. DarkenR

DarkenR Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Here's what I would do - (for US schools at least)

Take the August MCAT (the summer after your third year). You'll have a free summer to dedicate the time you need to kick ass on the test. Also, this way the schools you are applying to will get to see your stellar performance in your fourth year of college while they are considering your application (I think thats important for someone with a bad freshman year - trust me, it was for me). Plus, you'll have all the prerequ. classes (like physics) under your belt before you take the MCAT.

Get that AMCAS appllication in EARLY- since you won't have class/MCAT to worry about after you graduate in the spring, you can have a solid month to work on your AMCAS application and get it turned in on the FIRST POSSIBLE DATE(June 15th i think).

Some people might say a negative aspect of this route is that you will have a year off in between college and med school. So what? You can work, research, volunteer, relax, you name it. (It is important to keep yourself bust that year off - med schools will look at that). Plus, you'll be free to travel for interviews and have plenty of time to fill out those damn secondaries.

Anyway, thats my opinion - good luck! If you need more info - ask!