MCAT SUMMER GRIND 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RiPSTONE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently grinding for my MCAT by following my modified version of SN2ED's schedule. I just wanted to use this post to post my schedule and talk to others that are in the same boat. My test date is August 15, 2014.

Day 1: BR Physics Chapter #1 + 1/3
Day 2: BR Gen Chem Chapter #1 + 1/3
Day 3: BR O-Chem Chapter #1 + 1/3
Day 4: EK Biology Chapter #1 + 1/3 (3 passages) of the corresponding passages in the BR Bio book.
Day 5: BR Physics Chapter #2 + 1/3 + BR Bio 1/3 (9 passages)
Day 6: Re-read ALL of the previous week's chapters (Day 1-5). Additionally, work through corresponding EK 1001 sections for the chapters you worked through last week (Day 1-5). For instance, BR O-Chem chapter #1 goes over Organic Structure & Bonding; hence, complete the Molecular Structure in the EK 1001 O-Chem. The topics probably won't match all the time, but go with the best fit. Also, only do every third problem/passage in the EK 1001s. Lastly, complete the in-class exam for EK Bio chapter 1. Day 7: Finish up EK questions from Day 6 (Bio Ch.1 + Phys ch. 2) + Verbal
Day 8: HEAVY PGA by noon + Complete second 1/3 of BR passages for the previous 5 BR chapters (remember this includes BR Bio) in the afternoon
Day 9: Finish Day 8 (OChem, Bio, Phys Ch.2 1/3’s)
Day 10: PGA (V, Bio, Phys Ch.2) + BR Gen Chem Chapter #2 + 1/3
Day 11: BR O-Chem Chapter #2 + 1/3
Day 12: PGA G-Chem + O-Chem Ch.2 / EK Bio Chapter #2 + 1/3
Day 13: BR Physics Chapter #3 + 1/3
Day 14: BR Gen Chem Chapter #3 + 1/3
Day 15: Re-read chapters from Days 9-13 + EK 1001 for Days 10-14 + EK Bio In-class exam
Day 16: Complete second 1/3 of BR passages
Day 17: BR O-Chem Chapter #3 + 1/3
Day 18: EK Bio Chapter #3 + 1/3
Day 19: BR Physics Chapter #4 + 1/3
Day 20: BR Gen Chem Chapter #4 + 1/3
Day 21: BR O-Chem Chapter #4 + 1/3
Day 22: Re-read chapters + EK 1001 + EK Bio In-class exam
Day 23: Complete second 1/3 of BR passages
Day 24: EK Bio Chapter #4 + 1/3
Day 25: BR Physics Chapter #5 + 1/3
Day 26: BR Gen Chem Chapter #5 + 1/3
Day 27: BR O-Chem Chapter #5 + 1/3
Day 28: EK Bio Chapter #5 + 1/3
Day 29: Re-read chapters + EK 1001 + EK Bio In-class exam
Day 30: Complete second 1/3 of BR passages
Day 31: BR Physics Chapter #6 + 1/3
Day 32: BR Gen Chem Chapter #6 + 1/3
Day 33: Break
Day 34: BR O-Chem Chapter #6 + 1/3
Day 35: EK Bio Chapter #6 + 1/3
Day 36: BR Physics Chapter #7 + 1/3
Day 37: Re-read chapters + EK 1001 + EK Bio In-class exam
Day 38: Complete second 1/3 of BR passages
Day 39: BR Gen Chem Chapter #7 + 1/3
Day 40: BR O-Chem Chapter #7 + 1/3
Day 41: EK Bio Chapter #7 + 1/3
Day 42: BR Physics Chapter #8 + 1/3
Day 43: BR Gen Chem Chapter #8 + 1/3
Day 44: Re-read chapters + EK 1001 + EK Bio In-class exam
Day 45: Complete second 1/3 of BR passages
Day 46: Break
Day 47: EK Bio Chapter #8 + 1/3
Day 48: BR Physics Chapter #9 + 1/3
Day 49: BR Gen Chem Chapter #9 + 1/3
Day 50: EK Bio Chapter #9 + 1/3
Day 51: BR Physics Chapter #10 + 1/3
Day 52: BR Gen Chem Chapter #10 + 1/3
Day 53: BR O-Chem Chapter #8 + 1/3
Day 54: Re-read chapters + EK 1001 + EK Bio In-class exam
Day 55: Complete second 1/3 of BR passages
Day 56: Complete last 1/3 of BR passages for ALL Chapter 1s: BR Bio Chapter 1, BR Physics Chapter 1, BR Gen Chem Chapter 1, and BR O-Chem Chapter 1.
Day 57: Break
Day 58: AAMC FL #3 (ONLINE)
Day 59: Review FL per guidelines
Day 60: FL
Day 61: Review FL + 1/3 Chapter 2
Day 62: FL
Day 63: Review FL + 1/3 Chapter 3
Day 64: FL
Day 65: Review FL + 1/3 Chapter 4
Day 66: FL
Day 67: Review FL + 1/3 Chapter 5
Day 68: FL
Day 69: Review FL + 1/3 Chapter 6
Day 70: FL
Day 71: Review FL + 1/3 Chapter 7
Day 72: FL
Day 73: Review FL + 1/3 Chapter 8
Day 74: FL
Day 75: Review FL
Day 76: AAMC #4
Day 77: -----Break-----
Day 78: Review FL
Day 79: AAMC #5
Day 80: Review FL
Day 81: AAMC #6
Day 82: Review FL
Day 83: AAMC FL #7
Day 84: -----Break-----
Day 85: Review FL
Day 86: AAMC #8
Day 87: Review FL
Day 88: AAMC #9
Day 89: Review FL
Day 90: -----Break-----
Day 91: -----Break-----
Day 92: Review AAMC #10 (Took it as diagnostic for TPR) + 1/3 Chapter 9
Day 93: AAMC #11 (Take it through TPR online)
Day 94: Review FL + 1/3 Chapter 10
Day 95: -----Break-----
Day 96: MCAT

Members don't see this ad.

good luck. I remember summer grind 2013....oh the horror. I would suggest a couple of more breaks . Its VERY easy to burn out

I don't understand how you can tell if you're burnt out. That's why I took away more breaks from the beginning of the schedule and made sure to include them more when I started taking full lengths.

That's the big problem with burnout: you don't truly know until you're far gone. Most of the time, it's the people around you that notice first. So I'd strongly recommend keeping ALL of the break days.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got it SN2ED. Thank you so much for the schedule! I wouldn't have known how to self study this summer if it weren't for your schedule because I took the Princeton course during this past semester, and I feel like it didn't help much.

The reason why I'm bogged down at the moment is because of the Bio days. The first two chapters have a ton of the "1/3" chapters so I'm trying to make sure I keep up with the schedule.

Following SN2ed schedule to the T but im currently on Day 14, (Test Date August 21st 2014),
I don't know how i am going to feel later on haha

Got it SN2ED. Thank you so much for the schedule! I wouldn't have known how to self study this summer if it weren't for your schedule because I took the Princeton course during this past semester, and I feel like it didn't help much.

The reason why I'm bogged down at the moment is because of the Bio days. The first two chapters have a ton of the "1/3" chapters so I'm trying to make sure I keep up with the schedule.

I have the exact same test date as you. Bio days are tough, but EK bio is really good. My gen chem day has actually spilt over into my break day, what a chapter!

It looks like the bio days chill out after the second chapter.
Are you doing what SN2ed suggested and reading the EK chapter then doing the corresponding BR problems?

If you put a few buffer days into the schedule, you could use those to help finish up material and get a jump start on the next day's reading.

It looks like the bio days chill out after the second chapter.
Are you doing what SN2ed suggested and reading the EK chapter then doing the corresponding BR problems?
For the BIO day i am doing a derivative of it,
I will read the EK chapter,
the corresponding chapter (or chapter closely resembling it) in Kaplan,
Then take the In-class exam, (Then review what i got wrong)
Read the Berkeley prep chapter,
then I will take the 1/3 passages for BIO, (Then review)
It might be overkill but i think its working so far but i am only at Day 15 so i will let you know

I'm on Day 15 and decided to take a break for the day and pushed everything back. I think I know what characterizes a burnout for me and may probably be applicable to the most of you. I feel somewhat warm-headed like I've been overthinking without being able to focus 100% on the day's task at hand. I'll enjoy the hell out of the rest of the day.

I have a question regarding what "1/3" actually means. My TBR book has both "discreet" questions and at the end of the chapter, a set of 12 "passages" with 7 or so questions in each passage. Do I complete 1/3 of the "questions" within the passages, or 1/3 of the "passages?" Sorry - I am confused.

I have a question regarding what "1/3" actually means. My TBR book has both "discreet" questions and at the end of the chapter, a set of 12 "passages" with 7 or so questions in each passage. Do I complete 1/3 of the "questions" within the passages, or 1/3 of the "passages?" Sorry - I am confused.

1/3rd of the passages. I generally do 1/3rd of the discrete questions, but that can be up to you whether you'd rather do 1/3rd of them each time or just complete the whole section of the discrete questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
So SN2ed's schedule gets us to do 1/3 of most of the EK1001 books, but doesn't really have any days set aside for the rest of them. Do y'all recommend trying to add those in on some days?

The thing I noticed is that burnout came and went and came and went. It takes a while to get into the swing of things, but once you do, you can push through without much strain. Any burnout you feel is probably from lack of sleep as much as anything. I'd recommend incorporating naps and exercise into your schedule. That made a huge difference. The other change is to modify what you do. Realize that one-third is open to modification. Do half, quarter, and quarter sometimes. Mix it up so you don't get in a rut. If you plan to take a day off, then make the day before an impacted day. Feel like you've earned the right to take a day off. I found that starting up right after a day off was rough, so you should schedule a light day right after your day off.

Anyone else finding TBR difficult? Just started SN2ed's 3-month plan yesterday and I'm finding out how terrible I am at physical sciences.

I think TBR's been fair thus far (I'm on day 23). But I do feel like the corresponding BR bio passages for the EK chapters are a whole new level of difficulty compared to the EK lecture exams.

Reactions: 1 users
I think TBR's been fair thus far (I'm on day 23). But I do feel like the corresponding BR bio passages for the EK chapters are a whole new level of difficulty compared to the EK lecture exams.

Yeah for better or for worse, I switched over to TPRH for the lecture and passages. It makes a bit more sense to me and still remains difficult. I've heard that it is a good resource so I'm hoping it'll prepare me well.

I like the title of this, mcat grinding. Totally the right attitude for real. Good luck on the grind.

I'm on Day 15 and decided to take a break for the day and pushed everything back. I think I know what characterizes a burnout for me and may probably be applicable to the most of you. I feel somewhat warm-headed like I've been overthinking without being able to focus 100% on the day's task at hand. I'll enjoy the hell out of the rest of the day.

I did the same exact thing unexpectedly yesterday (thanks to memorial day shenanigans);
One thing i noticed is it is really hard to get back into the SN2ed study template after taking one day off haha

For real y'all. I dread the 2nd "1/3" days... especially the bio part for this week because there is a ton of corresponding passages. I love the laid back, read a lecture, and do the "1/3" passages days.

It's SN2ed's trademark post game analysis where you really focus on reviewing the answers and understanding anything that you don't already know.

Hey! First of all I wanted to thank you for the exceptional schedule you put together for students like me who are taking the mcat and don't know how to self-study. I am taking it on October 25 and I wanted to start doing the 4-month variation, however I am trying to buy the materials and I wanted to know if you currently know what is the oldest edition of TBR I can get that will still be effective. Thank you so much! You are the best! :)

The BR bio especially for chapter 2 is killing me. I'm not sure whether it's just hard or my bio basic knowledge is bad. Any suggestions?

Hey! First of all I wanted to thank you for the exceptional schedule you put together for students like me who are taking the mcat and don't know how to self-study. I am taking it on October 25 and I wanted to start doing the 4-month variation, however I am trying to buy the materials and I wanted to know if you currently know what is the oldest edition of TBR I can get that will still be effective. Thank you so much! You are the best! :)

I too would want to know this. Since O-chem has changed a lot over the years for mcat and i have about a 6-7 old version of BR books.

The BR bio especially for chapter 2 is killing me. I'm not sure whether it's just hard or my bio basic knowledge is bad. Any suggestions?
It was a long one buddy. I still keep reviewing mitosis & meiosis even now. Keep your head up because the next microbiology chapter is pretty easy.

Has anyone noticed that for the EK 1001 GChem, pages 67-83 are missing on the pdf version.
If anyone has the full file, can they send it to me please?

Yeah for better or for worse, I switched over to TPRH for the lecture and passages. It makes a bit more sense to me and still remains difficult. I've heard that it is a good resource so I'm hoping it'll prepare me well.

Same! I switched over to TPR after my second day. I found the way TPR explains everything makes more sense to me. TBR is just so dense (but if it works for anyone else, kudos to them). I covered CH.1 for Physics and Chem. with BR then I went over the same topic/chapters with TPR and found everything clicked better. It's not easier just better worded..... I'm still following the study plan, just swapping out BR for TPR for content review. I've been trying to do passage reviews with BR and the TPRH workbook. I kind of like the TPRH workbook better for passage/discrete questions, just because I feel like I'm actually learning and retaining more BUT BR is good because it has a bunch of "worst case scenario" type questions which I feel is better preparation for weird questions that might be on the real thing.

Day 29 here! Im loving BR. Even if i get something wrong i never make that mistake again because their explanations are soooooo goood. I actually havent taken any breaks because my finals didnt end until may 15, so I started on the 16th, but im all caught up now and its feelin good.

Edit: I think my username says my own feelings about TBRbio

How's everyone doing on their schedule so far? I'll be finishing up content review this week and will be half way to the test date. I'm getting excited that this struggle will soon be over. Keep strong everyone!

Last edited:
I'm a little behind with the schedule, sometimes it's hard for me to achieve revising the previous days passages, reading the chapter, doing the 1st 1/3 of the corresponding chapter and 3 verbal passages all in one day. I think it is because I spend too much time in each thing. With Bio I have the same problem as others, I don't feel like EK bio prepares me for the BR bio passages.
Good luck everyone!

I'm a little behind with the schedule, sometimes it's hard for me to achieve revising the previous days passages, reading the chapter, doing the 1st 1/3 of the corresponding chapter and 3 verbal passages all in one day. I think it is because I spend too much time in each thing. With Bio I have the same problem as others, I don't feel like EK bio prepares me for the BR bio passages.
Good luck everyone!

i finished the content review and i was getting killed in br bio, but after the first few chapters i was able to score in the >12 range. its just the first few sections that are killer. you got this :soexcited:

Has anyone noticed that for the EK 1001 GChem, pages 67-83 are missing on the pdf version.
If anyone has the full file, can they send it to me please?
Hey, I was wondering if you got those missing pages of the EK 1001 general chemistry book. I you do have them, could you please send them to me? Thanks