MCAT taken before, wait for new score?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by CommSNTS, May 29, 2008.

1. CommSNTS

Pre-Medical
    My previous MCAT score was pretty bad (28P :scared:) so I was wondering if I should wait for my new score to come in (taking it in July) or go ahead and apply with the current score. Will schools hold my application until it comes in or wait until my MCAT comes in?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Soccerdoc11

Pre-Medical
    ^Bump^... I am in the same boat as you, also curious what others think. I was thinking of applying to less than 15 now and then applying to more assuming I will do better in July.

4. Soccerdoc11

Pre-Medical
    Bump - Help Advice Wanted

5. JMB2213

Medical Student
    this is what i did... and i was in a similar situation. i applied as early as possible, b/c the verification process takes the longest. when the new scores come in, amcas automatically updated my app. i don't remember having to do anything for the new scores...secondaries don't usually go out until july, so i wasn't worried about my app getting screened out.

6. Soccerdoc11

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the response

7. eeyoreDO

Pre-Medical
    er :confused: .... 28 isn't bad

8. adamMD

adamMD MS-4

Medical Student
    Right. I would plan to re-take but apply anyways. If your gpa is good, you may have no problems. But just for the record, a 28 is a good score and certainly shows you tried hard. It's just that the competition is so harsh that it's hard to get in with scores slightly below average.

9. KnowledgeOfSelf

Medical Student
    Maybe you should complete your applications for June and tell them to wait on reviewing them until you complete your July MCAT. That way most of your work is done and you can still impress them with your new scores. But definitely make sure you improve! It'll be a stressful few months, but worth it if you improve your score even by 1 or 2 points. Good luck!

10. Soccerdoc11

Pre-Medical
    Alright sounds good.. Yeah I was just afraid of getting rejected right away with the 28 before they receive my July MCAT score but it looks like I shouldn't worry about it (other than kicking the MCAT's A$$).

11. CommSNTS

Pre-Medical
    Right, that was what I was afraid of.

I'll go ahead with it though and pray for the best. Thanks for the responses!

12. korndoctor

korndoctor Member

say you have a lower mcat score of 21R and am retaking it in july 18. is it feasible to submit amcas early in june/july anyways, selecting the option to let them know a new mcat score will be written in july? or should i wait until august 18 to get my new score and then submit amcas then? If i submit amcas early, will i be screened out or will schools not look at my app until they receive second mcat score? how does this work..some1 please clarify for me thanks