MCAT Test Date Planning & Use of AAMC FL's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

magicseaweed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
JANUARY VS MARCH TEST DATE?

Hello! I am currently a third year graduating this December with a BS in Biology. My sGPA and cGPA are around 3.9's. URM-ish CA applicant from a mid to low-tier private school. Meh EC's and 1 first author. Trying to find 6 MD's 2 DO's to shadow for a day. I'm graduating early due to summer classes, AP credits/CC GE units, overloading, etc but am definitely not someone who picks things up super fast.

This last semester I'm taking 2 computer science courses, assistant TA'ing, research, and biochemistry at 17 units total, plus 6 hours of volunteering with hospice/an ER and teaching yoga 1x per week. I'll be traveling weekends for about 1/4 of the semester, actually sleep 8+ hrs/night, and have a mellow social life. Overall have allotted 4 hours MWF for MCAT + weekends for catchup.

My question is whether 15 hours a week for 14 weeks plus 6 weeks full time is generally enough for the January MCAT date? I have a great background in bio, but remember almost no ochem, psychology, or sociology. Have a decent aptitude for reading comp. My fear is that I'll cram the last 6 weeks with practice exams and have nothing to study if I need to retake in April or May. Aiming for 514+ and applying next season to ~30 MD + 3 DO. I would love to take in January for time to prewrite secondaries and work full time vs part time with hospice or a nursing home.

Anyone in the same boat/have experience with studying for the MCAT during school? Words of wisdom would be appreciated! Sorry this was so long... :)

Members don't see this ad.

That should be fine. The last week 6 weeks of full time should be spent mostly with the AAMC materials if you have access to them such as the Section bank, Q banks, and Full lengths. I think the hours before should be getting more familiar with the content that will be tested. I think you should be fine for the January test--just make sure you sign up in time! If your scores aren't how you would want them to be for FL 1 or 2 I would save at least 1 AAMC FL (FL3) for if you wanted a laster test date just in case you will retake. But if you are within range it is best to get as much practice as you can and see how to respond to certain types of questions/concepts they ask.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds fine to me. As long as you commit to that schedule.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user