MCAT test date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

byrdhouse

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT last year on June 18th and received a 505. I applied to med schools and have receive less than stellar news. My plan for this cycle is to retake the MCAT and apply again to med schools with a 3.62 cGPA and 3.47 sGPA. There is a lot of suggestion on SDN about being an early applicant and how detrimental it can be to apply late.

I am on the fence between taking my MCAT on June 1st (July 6th release) or June 17th (July 18th release). I would want to submit my AMCAS as soon as possible and apply to my state school.

How 'late' is a late July secondary submission? Am I shooting myself in the foot by applying in late July when a early/mid-July would be feasible had a taken the MCAT a few weeks earlier?

Just trying to determine my exam date. Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

three months before the june 1st exam. ideally, the sooner you take it the better. plan on taking it june 1st and push back later if necessary. don't overthink things -- if your practice exam scores aren't around your target score delay the exam.

I took the MCAT last year on June 18th and received a 505. I applied to med schools and have receive less than stellar news. My plan for this cycle is to retake the MCAT and apply again to med schools with a 3.62 cGPA and 3.47 sGPA. There is a lot of suggestion on SDN about being an early applicant and how detrimental it can be to apply late.

I am on the fence between taking my MCAT on June 1st (July 6th release) or June 17th (July 18th release). I would want to submit my AMCAS as soon as possible and apply to my state school.

How 'late' is a late July secondary submission? Am I shooting myself in the foot by applying in late July when a early/mid-July would be feasible had a taken the MCAT a few weeks earlier?

Just trying to determine my exam date. Any advise is greatly appreciated!
You got above avg score and did not get in anywhere? What is your background? Did you apply to only top tier schools? I was reading on the AAMC website a 501 is average, and the AAMC says schools will be looking for kids with these kinds of scores. Is there just wishful thinking?

Yeah, while 501 is 'average' of ALL scores for the MCAT, average matriculation is closer to 508-509. The 501 considers all retakes, all students who did not apply to medical school, etc. My score is below the matriculation average by a few points.

I am a white male. I applied too top heavy (considering my scores) without a lot of lower tier schools. Unfortunately my state only has one medical school. I have over 5,000 working full-time as an EMT-B in a busy urban system (7-10 patients in a 12 hour shift), about 120 volunteer hours at a hospice over a few years, a lot of student government leadership and student life leadership.

You don't want to be average when it comes to your med school application.

I am actually going to take it next summer after an SMP. My sGPA is low and I am a non-science major, so I don't have the record in science courses as other students for quality or quantity.