MCAT testing center case filed- need urgent help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cathjokey

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys, I really need help/advice. Today I gave my MCAT exam, the proctor/testing manager was rude since beginning. Well in during 30 min break, my husband came and gave me food. It was right in the hall and the proctor said to him, Sir you cannot be here, so he left right away. He probably would have been there for literally for a minute or maybe less than that. So after few minutes she said to me that She gonna report me and filed a case. I told her that it was all right in front of her. And he left right away. But she was rude and literally filed a case for nothing. Now I am super scared and worried and have no idea what to do. It even affected my later sections. I’m really hoping if any of you could tell me how to handle this situation, I would be forever thankful.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Guys, I really need help/advice. Today I gave my MCAT exam, the proctor/testing manager was rude since beginning. Well in during 30 min break, my husband came and gave me food. It was right in the hall and the proctor said to him, Sir you cannot be here, so he left right away. He probably would have been there for literally for a minute or maybe less than that. So after few minutes she said to me that She gonna report me and filed a case. I told her that it was all right in front of her. And he left right away. But she was rude and literally filed a case for nothing. Now I am super scared and worried and have no idea what to do. It even affected my later sections. I’m really hoping if any of you could tell me how to handle this situation, I would be forever thankful.
Unfortunately, you broke the rules you agreed to before taking the exam. "Studying IS NOT allowed in the test center. Visitors, children, spouses, family, or friends ARE NOT allowed in the test center." You just have to wait and see their determination of the case--may end up voiding the exam, may not. The testing center was only doing their job by reporting the incident, do not blame them! The only thing you can do now is wait on their decision. Sorry about this happening though. Good luck ~

Reactions: 1 users
Unfortunately, you broke the rules you agreed to before taking the exam. "Studying IS NOT allowed in the test center. Visitors, children, spouses, family, or friends ARE NOT allowed in the test center." You just have to wait and see their determination of the case--may end up voiding the exam, may not. The testing center was only doing their job by reporting the incident, do not blame them! The only thing you can do now is wait on their decision. Sorry about this happening though. Good luck ~
Is there nothing I can do about it? Will I get a chance to explain my side of story? Will they contact me or will just tell me their decision??

Is there nothing I can do about it? Will I get a chance to explain my side of story? Will they contact me or will just tell me their decision??
Hmmm. I do not know the answer to those questions, sorry. If you want to be proactive, you could try to call AAMC and inquire about it. But, that could lead to all sorts of implications.

Members don't see this ad :)
You literally violated the rules of the MCAT....

Your proctor was not being rude, she did her job.

At best, your MCAT will be voided. At worst, you might be barred from taking it again for a period of time or ever.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmmm. I do not know the answer to those questions, sorry. If you want to be proactive, you could try to call AAMC and inquire about it. But, that could lead to all sorts of implications.
What sort of implications? So I shouldn’t acquire about it at all?

You literally violated the rules of the MCAT....

Your proctor was not being rude, she did her job.

At best, your MCAT will be voided. At worst, you might be barred from taking it again for a period of time or ever.

I didn’t meet someone secretly or anything. It was all in front of her. So yes she was rude and this wasn’t necessary. We as humans tend of make mistakes. She told him and he walked out. So this wasn’t really part of her job.

What sort of implications? So I shouldn’t acquire about it at all?
I didn’t meet someone secretly or anything. It was all in front of her. So yes she was rude and this wasn’t necessary. We as humans tend of make mistakes. She told him and he walked out. So this wasn’t really part of her job.
To keep the integrity of the test, they must report anything that goes against the rules. That is why there are rules... there is no subjectivity involved. You either break the rules (that you agreed to!!) or you don't. It's as simple as that. She did the right thing reporting the incident. Calling could bring more attention to the situation, people think you're downplaying the scenario, etc. Up to you to call or not.

Reactions: 1 user

What are you talking about? Just because you break the rules in front of her doesn’t mean you didn’t break the rules. How is it not part of her job to report someone who broke the rules on the MCAT? Every one makes mistakes but this is an especially dumb one caused by being unprepared and not reading the rules of the biggest test you have taken to date.

Reactions: 1 users
I hope it works out for you and that it comes to a quick, painless conclusion as a note on your MCAT history and nothing more. Everyone who has responded has a valid point that you broke the rules. Best thing to do is be honest about how it went down and humbly accept that you made a mistake. Saying the proctor was rude will do nothing to help your situation. Think of the people in this thread as an objective third party. From what you read, no one has commented on the proctor other than to say she was doing her job. My thought is always that there are two sides to every story, and after hearing only yours, I agree with the sentiment here that you broke the rules and just because it was overt rather than covert does not alter that fact. Hopefully getting our feedback will help you present any case you must present. Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
What are you talking about? Just because you break the rules in front of her doesn’t mean you didn’t break the rules. How is it not part of her job to report someone who broke the rules on the MCAT? Every one makes mistakes but this is an especially dumb one caused by being unprepared and not reading the rules of the biggest test you have taken to date.[/
I hope it works out for you and that it comes to a quick, painless conclusion as a note on your MCAT history and nothing more. Everyone who has responded has a valid point that you broke the rules. Best thing to do is be honest about how it went down and humbly accept that you made a mistake. Saying the proctor was rude will do nothing to help your situation. Think of the people in this thread as an objective third party. From what you read, no one has commented on the proctor other than to say she was doing her job. My thought is always that there are two sides to every story, and after hearing only yours, I agree with the sentiment here that you broke the rules and just because it was overt rather than covert does not alter that fact. Hopefully getting our feedback will help you present any case you must present. Good luck!

I never said I didn’t make a mistake. But she was rude, she could have told me at the end of exam that I made a case regarding what happened earlier so it wouldn’t have affected my later sections.
And this wasn’t the only thing she did, when we were two people left in the center like in the last 30 minutes of exam. She came and started cleaning and arranging the whole area. It was super loud and distracting for 10 minutes and that will be on their surveillance video as well. I am sure that is not even allowed while someone is taking exam. And I understand the objective of others and completely accept my mistake. While Some of the people on this thread lacks compassion towards others and quick to point it to dispositional factors.
First of all, I didn’t know he was gonna be there. He is a doctor himself. In his all cardiology/fellowship exams, he was allowed to come out and eat. So he didn’t realize MCAT is super strict about this. My mistake when I saw him I should have never got food but me being stupid I got the food from him thinking proctor is aware, so it’ll be fine.
Regardless, the way some of these people are talking about rules and being judgy, I hope you people are perfect and never made mistakes in your life.
Thank you for your input.

I love threads like this so much it inspired me to make an account. You asked a question, people gave you their legit answers. Why are you taking it personally? No one is saying you're a bad person or a cheater or anything like that. They said you made a dumb mistake and outlined the potential consequences.... No need to take it to heart. These are just facts. We've ALL made dumb mistakes.

Reactions: 2 users
Lol the amount of entitlement in some premeds is astonishing. You broke the rules. I’m all for empathy and leniency, but the rules and consequences are very clear. You violated them out of either ignorance or willful disregard. Either way it makes no difference. I would just pray they don’t prohibit you from taking the exam again.