Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

MCAT- time left to study

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by isomerjohn, Jan 29, 2002.

1. isomerjohn

isomerjohn Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have been pretty sick for the past three months and have just now started to feel a little better. My question is this Is it toolate to begin now preparing for the April Exam ? I will be able to put in 4-6 hrs daily and as much as possible on the weekends. Is this enough or should I take the August ? I am thinking that might be overstudying. Please any opinions ?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

It depends where you are starting from. If you completed pre-reqs within the last couple of years and this is just review, then yes, the average student would have time to prepare for the April MCAT. Are you an average student? Did you take pre-reqs last year or twenty years ago? Have you even completed pre-reqs? How do you learn best, long-term studying or cramming? These factors make a difference. I would guess that most people are only starting to 'seriously' study for the MCAT now...so probably the answer is that you have time.

4. isomerjohn

isomerjohn Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I actually did my pre-reqs about 7 yrs ago, but I have gone to graduate school in the past 2-3 yrs. In your opinion what is the average time students who do well take to study for this ? I do not have any other obligations right now, so i would be able to focus completely.

It is just that if i am going to push myself and get to April and not be ready then I would rather pace. Also, I would like to take advantage of the many benefits that come along with taking the April administration.

Anyone out there who studied for only about three months who's not fresh out of school and did well ??

5. i think you should go for it. my friends are taking their mcats in april and their kaplan classes start this weekend. plenty of people are counting on starting then. if you can focus, then do it!

ana

6. Bevo

Bevo Radiology, R1
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i think you can do it. It'll take some work but anything is possible.

7. isomerjohn

isomerjohn Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks alot guys !!! Any success stories out there from people who studied intensively for 21/2 to three months ?

8. Jim Picotte

Jim Picotte Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Before I state this I want to say that I don't mean to brag in any way at all. Just giving some info.

I took MCAT back in 1996 (April) and didn't study at all for it. I was working on my Biochemistry degree at that time with a minor in English writing. I bought one of those review books six months before the test, read the intro and found out how the test was set up and had good intentions but never read a single thing in the book, took zero sample tests and never even heard that there were review courses for the test. My scores were V-10, P-11, B-11. I had a lot of physics and biology in my major so I think that helped a lot.

I even remember the test day, I got seat number 13 and I was extremely calm and confident when I took the test.

I did study a lot for Step I (about 24 8 hour days) though and for a couple days prior to Step II.

9. isomerjohn

isomerjohn Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Not too shabby !!!! Now do any of us mortals out there have any stories to share ?

10. Jim Picotte

7+ Year Member

My point is that you should have no problem with the test. Give it maybe 20 hours a week of real study time till the test and you should crush the MCAT. Make sure you spend that time really studying as well, if you're tired, thinking of other things take a break and get out and do something. I use a lot of caffeine when I study and generally study in coffee shops (hey, it works and hasn't failed me yet). I barely remember the MCAT but it wasn't that hard and I think that 2 and half months of constant studying is insane. Very few med students do that kind of studying for our boards which are much harder than the MCAT.

11. marleybfour

marleybfour Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Six hours a day to study for the MCAT? Geez, I'll me happy if I can manage 6 hours a week between work and classes! Count yourself fortunate you have all that time, and yes go for it. I am. Good luck.

12. isomerjohn

isomerjohn Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks I am pretty convinced. Please any more opinions do not hesitate to post for the rest of us. I am sure there are others in that "in between" state right now.

Jim: that's sounds fantastic where do you attend school ?

13. Jim Picotte

7+ Year Member

I'm at Michigan State--CHM, 4th year. I really enjoyed medical school. Well...actually the 1st semester of the 1st year really sucked, but it gets better every year.

14. isomerjohn

isomerjohn Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

How is the studying going for those taking the April MCAT's. The weekends are key and this will be my first. The main thing I have tried to focus on is making every minute count so far. You know even those half hours when you would rather watch Seinfeld instead of studying mechanics !!!

15. Doctora Foxy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My kaplan course didn't start till feb 4th last year, so ur right on time to start studying. I went from a 15 diagnostic kaplan score to a 27 on the real thing. I only seriously studied for a few weeks before the test....i recommend that if you start now, study consistently until april...i have not been accepted yet, and i'm considering starting to study now too

16. AntGod22

AntGod22 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hey im studying for the mcats this april i started my kaplan course in november and didnt start doing any real hard studying till 2 weeks ago. I plan on studying mon,tues, thursday,friday, and one weekend day at best for 4-5 hours of just reviewing and studying , I got a 17 on my mcat diagnostic the first time at kaplan and all i need is a 24 on the mcat to make the med school i want to go to. What do u guys think????? Please tell

17. isomerjohn

isomerjohn Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Obviously, Ant God what most of us will say is don't just shoot for the 24. But, I have to tell you as I read all of the post it seems that if your other credentials are good 33+ gpa, etc. you should get an interview at most if you get 24 -27 on MCAT's . Any opinions on that guys ?

18. isomerjohn

isomerjohn Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

of course I meant 3.3 gpa

19. fiesty4

fiesty4 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

6 hours a day for two to three months worked for me. I spent one summer studying for the MCAT. From May to August, and with the Princeton Review class. I really like the PR class. I got the results they promised. I went from a 24 to 30. The class made me study, but if your self- motivated you don't need to spend the $1300.

20. isomerjohn

isomerjohn Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yeah that's the way I figure it !! I mean 2 and a half months should be fine. I want to do a half of a MCAT verbal every day and full ones on the weekend to prepare for that part. Then start with physics and g. chem exclusively for the first 3 weeks or so , since they are my weaknesses

21. AntGod22

AntGod22 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    yeah i have a 3.26 gpa right now and im taking biochemistry, human physiology, osteopathic principles and practices which is a one credit course, and physics II which is a five. I plane on getting atleast all A's or A-'s this semester so ill have close to a 3.4 something

22. isomerjohn

isomerjohn Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

That sounds good !! All you need to be is as competitive as you can be and then pretty much trust what you have done and hope someone recognizes your accomplishments .

23. YOu dont have to study for the MCAT. If you excelled in your pre-reqs it shouldnt be a problem.

24. EMDrMoe

EMDrMoe Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You don't HAVE to do anything. However, even if you aced the prereqs, that's not what the MCAT is about. If you don't know the test, your success is luck. I wouldn't count on luck with such an important step.