MCAT Timeline - Pre or Post 2015 update?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TLAD123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to apply for matriculation in 2017, currently in my last year of my graduate curriculum.

If I do the math correctly, for entry in 2017, scores from January 2014-September 2016 will be considered... Is this generally correct?

Would it be frowned upon or less accepted if I take the MCAT in 2014 to take it before the change, or would it best to just wait until 2015/16, after the change for application for 2017? I know there is no right answer, but opinions please.

Also to factor, I will not have taken my physics requirement until Fall 2014-Spring 2015. I took an introductory physics course to fulfill my current degree requirements, and have extensive experience in all chemistries and mathematics.

Members don't see this ad.

Additional question - if I take the MCAT in 2014, then again in 2015... are the best scores reported to institutions, all scores, latest scores? I would hope if I did well the first time that I wouldn't do worse the second... The only reason I would take it again would be to show that I am competent in the new revised areas.

I would stick with the known entity and take the 2014 test. Most schools have a three year window, so that timeline should be fine. I can't imagine you would be looked at unfavorably for taking the current test, but I'm not an adcom member. I definitely would NOT retake the new test to demonstrate competency in the new subjects.

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan to apply for matriculation in 2017, currently in my last year of my graduate curriculum.

If I do the math correctly, for entry in 2017, scores from January 2014-September 2016 will be considered... Is this generally correct?

Would it be frowned upon or less accepted if I take the MCAT in 2014 to take it before the change, or would it best to just wait until 2015/16, after the change for application for 2017? I know there is no right answer, but opinions please.

Also to factor, I will not have taken my physics requirement until Fall 2014-Spring 2015. I took an introductory physics course to fulfill my current degree requirements, and have extensive experience in all chemistries and mathematics.
As the for MCAT question, The 2015 application cycle is the LAST cycle that will accept the "old" MCAT. For 2016 application cycle, you MUST have taken the "new" MCAT and they will not accept any "old" MCAT tests. So if you plan on applying so that you are matriculating in the year 2017, then you will apply for the 2016 application cycle and the "old" MCAT will become invalid by the time you apply. So the only choice you have is to take the "new" MCAT.

As the for MCAT question, The 2015 application cycle is the LAST cycle that will accept the "old" MCAT. For 2016 application cycle, you MUST have taken the "new" MCAT and they will not accept any "old" MCAT tests. So if you plan on applying so that you are matriculating in the year 2017, then you will apply for the 2016 application cycle and the "old" MCAT will become invalid by the time you apply. So the only choice you have is to take the "new" MCAT.

And I suppose you have evidence to support your claims?

I ran across a school stating this a few months ago. Without a source I know it holds no water, but I'm pretty sure it is school dependent.

The owner of The Berkeley Review located at Berkeley told me this. He attends all the premed conferences and I am a Berkeley student.