Chris127

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2005
Status
I'm a sophomore right now, and plan to apply one year from now.

If I take the MCAT one year from now, say, May 2009, I will have my scores to submit for the AMCAS application. That means I have 4 attempts with this MCAT score, right (Spring '09, Spring '10, Spring '11, Spring '12)?

However, I plan on studying for the MCAT over the summer, meaning I would be ready to take it as soon as, say, September - October. In this case, what is the last year I can apply with that MCAT score? If I take it this fall, it would be valid for Spring '09, Spring '10, and Spring '11, and NOT Spring '12, right?

Premed Worrier

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2008
North Carolina
Status
Medical Student
For some reason I thought it depended on the school how old of an MCAT they would take...not sure though...why would you plan on having to apply four times? Kind of expensive...shouldn't you do everything you can to get in the first time?

OP
C

Chris127

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2005
Status
For some reason I thought it depended on the school how old of an MCAT they would take...not sure though...why would you plan on having to apply four times? Kind of expensive...shouldn't you do everything you can to get in the first time?
Of course, getting in the first/second time would be ideal. My GPA will be in the lower 40% of all matriculants at the schools I am looking at (primarily my state schools). So I imagine I may have to do some graduate work after I graduate, in which case, I want my MCAT score to remain acceptable (especially if it is decent).

Would anyone else have any info?

Premed Worrier

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2008
North Carolina
Status
Medical Student
it depends on the school... i am looking at a book that tells me for example:
Medical University of South Carolina: Oldest MCAT Considered for 2007 application is 2002
Boston University: 2004
University of Connecticut: 2003

Just as examples...for the majority though it looks like three years is correct, although if you know what schools you are looking at i can look them up for you...for what it is worth the book is the Ultimate Guide to Medical Schools <----don't know the accuracy, am assuming this part is correct?
hope this helps