MCAT timing and coursework questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chip2dale

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I just finished my freshman year, and as I'm getting ready to head back to school I realized I still had a few questions that I was hoping to get some input on.

I'm mostly curious about when the best time to take the MCAT is. I'd prefer not to take a gap year (after talking with a few doctors and family members they didn't think that it was necessary or anything), but were I to I would take it at the end of the summer before my senior year.
However, without taking the gap year, which I would prefer to do, I don't know exactly when it fits in. The summer before junior year seems really early for a few reasons. Mostly, I won't have any biology courses until my junior year (and even then it is bioengineering due to my major).
I was thinking if I wanted to take the MCAT a bit earlier I could take some general biology the summer before junior year, but I don't know when I would take the MCAT here.

Also, when it comes to taking biology courses that will prepare me for the MCAT, and assuming I can only take one or two, which courses are the best to take?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Search function...there is an entire MCAT section where you can find a thread or fifty on each of your questions...:idea:

I couldn't find one that listed delayed biology coursework as a reason for questioning, and I think that that could vary peoples' answers significantly :idea:

take a physiology course, it doesn't have to be super hard, but it will definitely help with questions