MCAT tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

driven

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just joined this forum, so it was great to read about everyone's exceptance to Med Schools. Congrats to all.

As for me, I am a few steps behind. I will be taking the MCAT's in April, and am starting to get real nervous. I need some tips from my fellow successfull peers. Anything is welcomed.

Also, I will be taking it at Fordham Univ. in NY. Did any of you take it there? This was my second choice, so I'm not so happy about it.

Thanks in advance...

Members don't see this ad.

Rule number one about the MCATs is to chill out and don't stress out as much as the average person does. Making yourself nervous is only going to hurt your performance. Be confident and calm. Easier said than done, but try.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by driven:
•Hey guys,

I just joined this forum, so it was great to read about everyone's exceptance to Med Schools. Congrats to all.

As for me, I am a few steps behind. I will be taking the MCAT's in April, and am starting to get real nervous. I need some tips from my fellow successfull peers. Anything is welcomed.

Also, I will be taking it at Fordham Univ. in NY. Did any of you take it there? This was my second choice, so I'm not so happy about it.

Thanks in advance...•••••I took my first MCAT there....it's pretty crowded. I didn't do well but that was my fault. I came from Brooklyn, I would say arrive extra extra early but it makes no sense since they have to line you up and that took forever.

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to SDN, driven!!! :D :) :D

Presumeably you'll do all you can to study and review for the exam (I can tell by your name :wink: ), like making sure you completely understand why you missed every practice problem you ever missed (the most important thing, IMHO), so after that -- it's just, get a good night's sleep the night before, make sure you're organized about getting to and into the exam, and then don't panic. And hey, it's not a do or die situation. If you don't like your scores you can always retake in August. I was supposed to take the April MCAT this year, but didn't feel ready, so took the August instead. I've been successful at getting interviews and acceptances despite average stats and taking the August exam. I wish you the best of luck!!! You've already been lucky enought to find SDN. You'll be really glad to have SDN to help you through the process. :D :cool: :D

Take practice tests under real-test conditions so that you know if you need to go faster or change your strategies on how you takes tests!! practice practice practice!!

Hi driven, welcome to SDN! :)

I'd like to "second" all that the others have said. You'll need to freshen up on certain topics (and in some cases, learn them for the first time), but make sure above all that you take timed practice exams. The test itself is strenuous just in terms of its length and the crunch to finish each section in the allotted time. Even if you take a practice test and become completely discouraged, step away from it, take a deep breath, then come back and re-evaluate your strategy. Oftentimes, when at first you think you've done the best you possibly could, there are actually several techniques that you could adopt to improve your score.

As others have also said, do the best that you can to maintain perspective and to go into the exam as calm as possible. I'm speaking from the experience of one who did NOT follow this piece of advice. .. and who suffered as a result (as did my score!!!). Although the test can be nerve-wracking, during your preparation for it, please try as best you can to still get enough sleep, and to take time out for the things you enjoy most. All the preparation in the world won't help if you're nauseous, dizzy and panicked during the exam.

GOOD LUCK, driven! If you have any other questions, you can always ask us, the people here on SDN are so wonderfully supportive. . . I certainly know that they've helped me!

Learn to efficiently manage your time per passage. Trust me, it makes all the difference in the world. Finishing the test can really help maximize your score.

You guys are really cool. Thanks a bunch for all the warm and fuzzy words of encouragement. I have been doing OK in verbal practice tests avg 11-12, however bombing the physical. I was really surprised and disheartened, since I did well in my pre-med classes. Any specific tips on how to handle these questions. The passages just boggle my mind. Any websites I could visit to get used to the literature.