MCAT Trial Run? (Register, Take, and Cancel)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllDay24

Veteran Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I haven't completed Orgo yet, but I'm thinking about taking a trial run of the MCAT sometime. When I say that, I mean registering for the test, taking it, and cancelling my score immediately afterwards.

Some of the advantages I see from this include getting used to the pre-test logistics (fingerprints, etc), the computerized exam (the specific layout of the questions, passages, and the essay), the test center location, and in general the test day atmosphere. I think that it would reduce some anxiety the first time I decide take it seriously.

Some disadvantages would be using 1 of the 3 times one can take it one year (BTW, does the "year" mean 3 exams per 365 days or 3 exams per 2010, 2011, etc). It might also create subconscious propensity to cancel when I take it for reals.

Has anyone ever done this before? Please let me know what you think of this idea, especially if I'm looking overlooking something (i.e. does a cancelled exam appear somewhere?)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can see your point about taking the exam under real conditions, but its pretty expensive to take the exam, and a waste of $ in my opinion.

Instead, I would purchase a few of the practice AAMC exams and then set up an environment at home with no distractions, and pretend like you are there so you can repeat this several times instead of just once.

As to whether or not schools will know you took and voided an exam I don't know the answer to that, and I also don't know how they "lock out" people for more than 3 times each year.

Assume the $250 will not be an issue. I don't think being wasteful with money, but I don't mind if it's for something as important as the MCAT.

You know what's a lot cheaper? Taking the $30 practice tests under simulated conditions.

You have got to be kidding me.

Are you really going to study as seriously for your "dry run" as you would the real thing? Probably not, so I don't think it's worth doing.

I can see your point about taking the exam under real conditions, but its pretty expensive to take the exam, and a waste of $ in my opinion.

Instead, I would purchase a few of the practice AAMC exams and then set up an environment at home with no distractions, and pretend like you are there so you can repeat this several times instead of just once.

As to whether or not schools will know you took and voided an exam I don't know the answer to that, and I also don't know how they "lock out" people for more than 3 times each year.

+1 to the above.

You can also drive to the test center several weeks before your real exam date and take a few minutes to scope out the site. this gives you the opportunity to see the location and check out the atmosphere without paying money, spending 5 hours, and potentially using one of the 3 adminstrations you are allotted for the year (don't know how that works).

I used both Kaplan and AAMC practice tests and both adequately represented the computer set up so if you use those you will be more than prepared for the real computer experience. Beyond that it's just up to you to create a test-like environment when you take your practice tests.

If you have extreme test anxiety, and all this isn't going to be enough it could be worth it to do the real thing as a dry run. On the other hand, you have to ask yourself if it will cause you anxiety to never know what you go on that trial run. At least with any AAMC or Kaplan test you get a score and know what to focus on in order to improve.

Good luck whatever you decide!

The practice exams available online are almost identical to what you will be presented with at the testing center. A lot of the logistics (signing in, getting the lay of the land) you feel you need to get familiar with seem rather inconsequential to me -- if that type of thing is going to psych you out, well, good luck to you.

The problem I see is that you know you're going to cancel it, so the only benefit you gain is knowing what the testing setup is like. It's fairly trivial to recreate most of the experience at home without shelling out the cash. (Unless you also want to duplicate that experience.)

Your plan will prepare you for the superficial differences between AAMC practice tests and the real deal: the fingerprints, emptying your pockets, the cramped little computer stations with recording devices everywhere...

But honestly, all of that is trivial. You don't need a trial run for it. The big difference between the real MCAT and practice tests is something that which by definition cannot be recreated: the "oh **** this is the real thing" feeling you get in your gut when you see the first question.

You won't get that with your scheme. Because it's NOT the real deal. You're going to cancel. It has no more consequence than any other practice test.

Honestly, spend your $250 on practice tests. That's enough to buy 7... plenty, in my opinion.

Just get AAMC practice tests. The layout of the exam is pretty accurate. More than being a waste of money, I think this is just a waste of time, but I guess have it if you really want to.

Stupid idea. Get practice tests like everyone else said.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the replies everyone! Another interesting point: Aren't some questions/passages reused? Could be a potential benefit, though clearly can't bank on it.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Another interesting point: Aren't some questions/passages reused? Could be a potential benefit, though clearly can't bank on it.

I did all of the AAMC practice exams and did encounter a few reused questions and very similar looking problems.

They are, though probably not during the same application cycle, to prevent people from doing what you just suggested. Even if they are, it would be a tiny number of questions, and there is no guarantee you would even remember. And frankly, to put down $250 for that (potential, tiny) advantage is just stupid unless you're made of money.

You know what's a lot cheaper? Taking the $30 practice tests under simulated conditions.

:thumbup: Really. This is all you need to do....signing up and bailing on the real MCAT is excessive, unless you left out that you have some sort of debilitating anxiety disorder in which your plan might make some sense. Otherwise, just do the practice tests under realistic conditions...yes, the MCAT is a tough exam, but it's not *that* bad. Seriously. Save the paralyzing fear for Step 1.

Your plan will prepare you for the superficial differences between AAMC practice tests and the real deal: the fingerprints, emptying your pockets, the cramped little computer stations with recording devices everywhere...

But honestly, all of that is trivial. You don't need a trial run for it. The big difference between the real MCAT and practice tests is something that which by definition cannot be recreated: the "oh **** this is the real thing" feeling you get in your gut when you see the first question.

You won't get that with your scheme. Because it's NOT the real deal. You're going to cancel. It has no more consequence than any other practice test.

Honestly, spend your $250 on practice tests. That's enough to buy 7... plenty, in my opinion.

:thumbup:

I had to go through the fingerprinting and photographing for my state license and it takes all of 5 minutes, not that much to it. Paying all that money to recreate that is so not worth it. Everything mentioned in quoted statement above is right on.

I took all my practice tests at my school library on a dell that was almost the same as the test center :p

I took all my practice tests at my school library on a dell that was almost the same as the test center :p

Minor question: what type of computers do they use?

If the $250 doesn't bother you go for it though it seems a waste to me. IMHO it isn't a good practice test because if you void you will never know your score and whether you void or not you will never see which questions you got correct or incorrect.

It is correct that if you void no schools will ever know you sat for the test that day. Also, it is true that you are limited to taking the MCAT three times per year.

If the $250 doesn't bother you go for it though it seems a waste to me. IMHO it isn't a good practice test because if you void you will never know your score and whether you void or not you will never see which questions you got correct or incorrect.

It is correct that if you void no schools will ever know you sat for the test that day. Also, it is true that you are limited to taking the MCAT three times per year.
Please pay close attention to the bold text. Such a good idea now?

+1 what Helen Wheels said.

No score. No feedback. This will end up being the least helpful "practice test" you'll take.

Yeaaaaa don't do that. I took all of the available AAMC practice tests and simulated the conditions. This means I went to the library at 8am on a Saturday, took 10 minute breaks, brought food/drinks for breaks, etc. Just do that and you'll be fine. Take the free one and buy a few others. Even if you buy 5 it will be cheaper. I don't think that my score is ideal, but I also don't think what you're suggesting is the way to go.

IMHO it isn't a good practice test because if you void you will never know your score and whether you void or not you will never see which questions you got correct or incorrect.

Pretty useless practice if you can't determine your scores from each section.

That sound ridiculous because there should be a record that you took the exam and the score was cancelled. If I were interviewing you, it would definitely raise an eyebrow...

They are, though probably not during the same application cycle, to prevent people from doing what you just suggested. Even if they are, it would be a tiny number of questions, and there is no guarantee you would even remember. And frankly, to put down $250 for that (potential, tiny) advantage is just stupid unless you're made of money.

Yep, the cost outweighs the benefitsuuuuuuuuu

You will not benefit from this! Don't be an idiot- thats 240$ you can put towards secondaries

My friend took the MCAT 5 times over 2 years and voided 3 of the 5. He took Orgo in between tests 1 and 2 for what it's worth and was a chem major like me. Said he took a lot of bio classes and did self-studying for bio in between tests 3, 4, and 5 (ended up getting a 13 on BS and PS and an 11 on VR).

1st: void
2nd: 31 (?) not sure...something in the low-30's
3rd: void
4th: void
5th: 37

He got accepted at UCSD this cycle. So for him it worked out. The only thing is you don't know if his voided tests were a 40 or a 30. Maybe he got a 40 on test 3 and then took 4 and 5 for nothing...but he said he felt much better after test 5 than the previous 4....

My friend took the MCAT 5 times over 2 years and voided 3 of the 5. He took Orgo in between tests 1 and 2 for what it's worth and was a chem major like me. Said he took a lot of bio classes and did self-studying for bio in between tests 3, 4, and 5 (ended up getting a 13 on BS and PS and an 11 on VR).

He got accepted at UCSD this cycle. So for him it worked out. The only thing is you don't know if his voided tests were a 40 or a 30. Maybe he got a 40 on test 3 and then took 4 and 5 for nothing...but he said he felt much better after test 5 than the previous 4....

Dang. I guess if you have the money.

Dang. I guess if you have the money.

He wasn't that well off and worked during UG to help pay for it....but the way he saw it was he would be spending so much money applying that he shouldn't be penny wise and dollar foolish.

Also he saved $2000+ by not taking a prep course. He borrowed my EK and BR books and bought the AAMC FL's which he did 2-3 times each.

He wasn't that well off and worked during UG to help pay for it....but the way he saw it was he would be spending so much money applying that he shouldn't be penny wise and dollar foolish.

Also he saved $2000+ by not taking a prep course. He borrowed my EK and BR books and bought the AAMC FL's which he did 2-3 times each.

Also-- with a 37 he could have made up the difference in the extra cost with potential scholarship money.. so maybe worth it??

I'm in a very similar situation. Haven't taken Orgo yet, but I feel like I could get a 30+ Got a 30 without studying on a diagnostic Kaplan MCAT. Also, based on the fact that he took it five times in about the span of a year, does that mean you can take it 3 times per numerical year (i.e. 3 for 2011, 3 for 2012)? As opposed to 3 in the span of 1 year...

Why would you waste aamc practice exams when you aren't ready since you haven't taken the prereqs?

Flatearth, glad it worked for your friend but seriously? How much more neurotic can you get?

Also, hey. I know a lot of things I would have done with the extra $1k. Seriously, why would you take the test before finishing the prereqs...

I'm in a very similar situation. Haven't taken Orgo yet, but I feel like I could get a 30+ Got a 30 without studying on a diagnostic Kaplan MCAT. Also, based on the fact that he took it five times in about the span of a year, does that mean you can take it 3 times per numerical year (i.e. 3 for 2011, 3 for 2012)? As opposed to 3 in the span of 1 year...

Why are you trusting Kaplan tests for your scores, when you can do them through the AAMC? Why are you planning on taking the MCAT before you take O Chem? Why are you planning on taking it multiple times?

You are making this situation way more difficult than it needs to be. The MCAT is not some sort of behemoth that only the most intellectually gifted can hope to do well on. Take your pre-reqs, study well, take several practice tests, and then take the MCAT once. Done.

why are you trusting kaplan tests for your scores, when you can do them through the aamc? Why are you planning on taking the mcat before you take o chem? Why are you planning on taking it multiple times?

You are making this situation way more difficult than it needs to be. The mcat is not some sort of behemoth that only the most intellectually gifted can hope to do well on. Take your pre-reqs, study well, take several practice tests, and then take the mcat once. Done.

this!!!!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Why are you trusting Kaplan tests for your scores, when you can do them through the AAMC? Why are you planning on taking the MCAT before you take O Chem? Why are you planning on taking it multiple times?

You are making this situation way more difficult than it needs to be. The MCAT is not some sort of behemoth that only the most intellectually gifted can hope to do well on. Take your pre-reqs, study well, take several practice tests, and then take the MCAT once. Done.

This