MCAT validity dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cells4life

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am anticipating to take the MCAT in January 2014 in order to avoid taking the 2015 MCAT. In addition, I am also anticipating to start a masters in biology program for the spring (ie" January) of 2014 as well. I wanted to know when can I start applying to medical schools...can I start applying to medical schools after finishing my first year in the masters program or do I have to wait until I obtain the degree? I am a little bit confused since I do not want my MCAT scores to expire?

Members don't see this ad.

Well it depends on when you would be available for matriculation...IE when you will be finished with your Masters. Certainly if you would still be in the program, you can not apply to that beginning med school would overlap.

After that, its a matter of how much you want the grades from your Master's program to be on your application. If you start in January and apply that Summer, you will likely only have 1 semester of grades there. Now if that's fine for you, then you can certainly apply then.

Well it depends on when you would be available for matriculation...IE when you will be finished with your Masters. Certainly if you would still be in the program, you can not apply to that beginning med school would overlap.

After that, its a matter of how much you want the grades from your Master's program to be on your application. If you start in January and apply that Summer, you will likely only have 1 semester of grades there. Now if that's fine for you, then you can certainly apply then.
hi thanks for the reply! i will be able to start matriculation at medical school beginning in the summer of 2016 since the program is 2 years. So i am assuming the scores will still be valid.. I am a little bot confused since some schools take the latest april instead of january (which was when I was planning to take it). If anyone has any advice or were in a similar position please do leave your input..thanks!