1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

MCAT verbal 7 or lower with interview, anyone?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Human_Genome, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Human_Genome

Human_Genome Member
    7+ Year Member

just try to find hope somewhere out there...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ucbdancn00

ucbdancn00 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

yup....

two interviews right here...

not that i'm proud of my 6, but numbers aren't everything....

definitely hope for sure:cool:

4. Human_Genome

Human_Genome Member
    7+ Year Member

nope, not URM.

MCAT 7, 10, 11
    GPA 3.6 from top 25 school
    lot of extracurriculum

BUT NO INTERVIEW SO FAR!

ucbdancn00, can I ask you which schools you got interviews from and when?

5. ucbdancn00

ucbdancn00 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

not a URM either...

cum 3.53
    BCPA 3.46..

got interviews from Drexel(10/28) , and UIC(11/8, going on Thursday!) so far...

hope that helps:cool:

6. Ucbdancn00,

11/8 is a Friday :) You don't want to be confused about your day/date of interview.

7. ucbdancn00

ucbdancn00 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks Dr. Lady...

i meant that....i'm leaving on thursday!!!

my interview is on Friday, thanks for reminding me....

:p

8. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Don't worry about one number if your application is strong. I took the MCAT only once and didn't finish the three final passages on the verbal section (I don't even remember what I was doing or thinking). This resulted in a verbal score of 7 and a total MCAT around 30.

I was worried, but in the end, I had 6 acceptances and the rest is history. I applied to 13 schools, received 10 interviews, and actually interviewed at 7. I am not a URM.

I was able to get acceptances at: Hopkins, Columbia, Washington University, Einstein, University of Washington, and Oregon.

Human_Genome, there is always hope and an opportunity. With applicant numbers falling, there is likely more hope now than back in 1993 when I applied. If you get in, that 7 verbal will be forgotten unless you decide to reveal that on SDN! :)

One more thing, I have no trouble reading passages on the USMLE, but those philosophy and art passages on the MCAT are REALLY BORING! :) Perhaps if they made it more interesting, people would do better... Just had to vent. :)

Good luck.

9. aquaboy

aquaboy Surfer, sailor, swimmer!
    7+ Year Member

Last year I had a 7 on verbal and received only one interview even though my overall MCAT was a 29. A 7 on verbal sometimes throws up a red flag at certain schools so if it seems like you aren't getting any interviews around Jan. or Feb. then plan on retaking and improving in verbal. I did the same and imrpoved 3 points in verbal. It sounds like that is the only flaw in your application. Don't let it keep you out of med school. Also, it's still early in the process so don't despair yet.

10. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hey optho, you know I always appreciate your advice, but you think this is necessarily true? I mean, the number of applicants has dipped steadily since the early 90s, but the mean MCATs and GPAs of matriculating students have risen consisently every year too. So I would think it might be "easier" on a percent accepted perspective, but the quality of application needed hasn't necessarily gotten more lax. Just my two cents :)

11. SnudgeMuffin

SnudgeMuffin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Human_Genome,

Have some hope! One person I know for sure got interviews from Pritzker, Northwestern, Penn, PSU, and BU to name a few with a VR of "4". Non-URM. She had good scores on PS and BS (I think 11 and 10 respectively). Good luck! :)

12. LoveDoc

LoveDoc Respect the Rhesus Monkey
    7+ Year Member

I love when I see this question b/c it allows me to close the ignorance gap.

Here is an excerpt from an excellent article:

http://www.amsa.org/pdf/study_meded.PDF

The non-minority students also felt that programs specifically for minorities provided those students with an unfair advantage. They perceived an administrative effort to keep the content of and reasons for minority programs quiet. The existence of such programs and the seemingly secretive air around them made one non-minority student feel "like I'm being discriminated against, like I don't have the same chance." When discussing factors that may aggravate their situation, some minority students specifically described these same minority programs as a "double-edged sword." They saw the programs as being beneficial, yet also creating tension between the minority students and their non-minority classmates. The minority students felt that some nonminority students perceived the programs as remedial, which simply added to the general assumption that minority students were not qualified. Non-minority students were perceived as using the existence of such programs as justification for keeping study material from minority students or segregating them out.

13. Thewonderer

Thewonderer Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Yeah, I would hesitate to compare 1993 to 2001. MCAT scoring also seemed to change in the early 1990 and maybe in 1993, admissions committee was not too comfortable with the new scoring either.

For MD/PhD, undergrad research also counted a lot.

Recently, med schools also seem to have higher and higher matriculant numbers. It might be an effect of US News.

14. Dr. Wall$treet

Dr. Wall$treet Membership Revoked
    Removed

hey dr. lady u seem very intelligent so i wouldnt worry about it ull be fine. I got a 6 my first time around and retook and got an 8.. and trust me if i can get an 8 in anyting to do with reading and verbal than ull be FINE. honestly i think mcat is just weird sometimes and gives u random bad scores in verbal, too many horror stories i hav heard to account otherwise. .no worries ur in godo shape!

15. heelshmeel

heelshmeel Tar Heel Bred
    7+ Year Member

This is very interesting... I have heard of this happening before... if someone can manage to score really well on PS and BS and also pull off a good writing score (R or so), then they can always argue that they misbubbled the verbal portion of the test... i heard of this happening once before!

always food for thought.

16. ohiowa

ohiowa Member
    7+ Year Member

i took the mcat two years ago and got a 7 in verbal (total score= 30). i applied to 6 schools and didn't get a single interview.

i retook the mcat last april, upped my verbal to an eight but went down a point each in the sciences (total score=29), applied to 13 schools and i've gotten three interviews and one accept, so far.

i think that applying to a broad range of schools is key. also, applying to private schools other than your state school is a good idea. state schools tend to take instate apps, followed by cream of the out-of-state crop. you've got a better chance at private schools in my oppinon. but i'm no expert.

hang in there! if things don't work out this time around you could take the mcat again. it seems daunting now, but if med school is what you want then you will find the stamina.

o.

17. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

LoveDoc, I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. I thought it was a known fact that the average URM score at many schools is lower than the average non-URM. I don't see how the article makes a response to the question that was asked.

18. Veilside

Veilside Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

that person must have had an amazing record of ECs or someting b/c 10 and 11, albeit good scores, are not high enough to offset a friggin 4 on the verbal IMO.

19. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Yeah, a 4 is pretty low. I'd image this person must have mis-bubbled or something to score a 25.

I've always heard that the verbal section is the one most heavily weighted by adcoms. It also happens to track most closely to an IQ test. Take that for what it's worth.

20. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    maybe english is their second language?

and i have to agree with RA, i dont understand how that article makes any sense in light of stated points.

21. Hi, Dr.Wall$treet,
    I didn't ask a question about getting a 6 on verbal. I was merely replying to someone's post about how he got his interview day/date confused. I think you got me confused with someone else :)

But thanks for the vote of confidence :)

22. LoveDoc

LoveDoc Respect the Rhesus Monkey
    7+ Year Member

I normally don't respond to comments made about my posts. But will jump in here to add clarity. This post began with a inquiry about low scores and the probabiliy of acceptance. Whenever those two factors in conjunction are mentioned the discussion automatically reverts to URMs, their stats, and programs designed to increase matriculation of URMs in med school. My post, although not directly related to the original question, is a general attempt to disseminatie information for people to understand why the disparity in stats exist and what is being done to improve URM stats.

If one chooses to read the information, I hope he/she is enlightened and can further expand their knowlege and add depth to their opinion on the subject.

Thanks.

23. Ally00

Ally00 New Member

I got a 7 on my Verbal Section, total MCAT 31. I almost didn't apply, but my applications were complete six days ago after I sent in LORs and I just got an invite for an interview at University of Chicago. I think if you have a weak verbal score, it's definitely possible they will believe it is an aberration as long as you have things to support it, i.e. rec from english prof, high non-science GPA, good writing score. If not, writing secondary essays well is key too. Good luck! :)

24. bruinmojo

bruinmojo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Well, I myself have a verbal score of 7, Total of 30 (12 Phys and 11 Bio). my science gpa is 3.65, non science, 3.87. Lots of extracurriculars, pretty good Rec letters. I've gone to 4 interviews up till now, and two more to go to next week.

Hasn't hurt me yet, though the only school i've heard from (after interview) right now is University of Miami and I am waitlisted.

I have been rejected by stanford, ucsf, hopkins, and vanderbilt though heh. UCSF is the only one I cared about in that group.

25. ItNeverEnds

ItNeverEnds Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Verbal Reasoning sucks. Take the DAT verbal, for instance. The questions are straightforward and require you to refer to the text and look for patterns. The MCAT verbal is just plain weird, and probably a ploy to squeeze another $250 (cost per MCAT administration) out of a good majority of applicants.

26. kam730

kam730 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I have an encouraging story for you guys. A friend of mine (white male, just so there are no questions), whose MCAT was 9-11-7, has had 3 interviews and just got his first acceptance at a state school of a state which he is not a resident of. I know the 7 was not in verbal as the OP specified, but I would imagine it is equally difficult to get in with a 7 in bio, since that is usually the section with the highest average. He does not attend a prestigious undergrad, and his ECs are fairly typical. It is possible!! Dont lose hope!! Good luck.

27. BobbyDylanFan

BobbyDylanFan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Would you be so kind to tell us what school accepted him? Thanks for sharing your story!

28. On the MCAT I had a 7 12 12 Q, for a total score of 31Q.

I have received two interviews so far: Charles R. Drew on November 21, and UC Davis on December 3.

We can do it! Screw Verbal Reasoning!:D

29. kam730

kam730 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Would you be so kind to tell us what school accepted him? Thanks for sharing your story!

He got in Medical College of Ohio, and is a KY resident.

30. Ronin

Ronin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

guys, i need some opinions here.
    my mcat verbal is quite low, but my writing is quite all right, so is it possible that med school people would want me to explain such a bizarre contrast of scores?

31. kam730

kam730 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey guys, just to update my previous post. My friend just got his second acceptance (his other interview resulted in a waitlist so no rejections!!) with an MCAT of 9-11-7!! His acceptances are at Medical College of Ohio and U. of Louisville. Admissions committees will look beyond numbers, don't give up hope! Good luck everyone!

32. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member
    7+ Year Member

Unfortunately, the writing score means nothing... unless you get an S or a T (or get a really really low score..like an L)... then it means a little, but still not much.