MCAT Verbal for non-native English Speaker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benjjang751

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am a non-native English speaker.
I have been in U.S. for only 4 years.
I got 5 on my first diag. (which was very depressing):thumbdown:
I have studied Verbal for a while but I can not figure out a way to study effectively.
1) are there anyone who is a non-native and had bad score on the first diag. but excelled on the real MCAT Verbal section by studying in certain way?
2) are there anyone out there who had a really bad score on verbal and improved significantly?

Thank you,:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

i got a 2 on my first diagnostic VR. I am in similar situation as you. You have to know Kaplan, EK verbal strategies and choose something that works the best for you. Reading also helps a lot but it is only if you have 1-2 years before you take MCAT. In short term reading about strategies and applying them is the best thing. I got a 8 on the real thing though so do not be discouraged.

I'm also non native. I got 6 on the MCAT. I was sad at first, but after getting 9 invites ... it doesn't matter to me anymore. I think 6 or above is a doable score... :)

hey, don't be discouraged! been in your very same shoes for longest time, til signifivant improvement kicked in. figure out what you're doing wrong. not forming a main idea of the passage? not understanding what the question is asking? looking for right answer? - try instead finding out whats wrong with each of the other choices. too much underlighning , writing in margins, so lacking time? going back too much?- whats the difficulty you're facing? feel free to pm me, will tell you more of what helped me improve. Anyone can do it, its not about being a "good or "bad' reader, its a simply a matter of practicing right.

best wishes!

I'm also non native. I got 6 on the MCAT. I was sad at first, but after getting 9 invites ... it doesn't matter to me anymore. I think 6 or above is a doable score... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Dont be discouraged at all. If you took a Kaplan diagnostic especially. I have heard from different sources that kaplan struggles to get VR correct. ( in that they cant mirror the real MCAT VR well). Buy EK 101 and see what your scores are. I bet you see a 4-5 point increase when compared to your diagnostic

mcat verbal is hard for native english speakers so don't necessarily think you're in an extreme disadvantage. just keep plugging away and improving.