Mcat verbal reasoning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loveportland

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
English is not my first language... and I don't read much. What type of articles/books should I read so that I can improve my VR section?

Members don't see this ad.

Actual book/journal material isn't that helpful for verbal unless you've got a year or more to prep. If you DO... try things like The Economist, Atlantic, NY Journal, etc.

If you don't have years... go straight to verbal practice material. The gold medal there goes to EK 101 in VR.

I'm an incoming junior and I plan on taking the MCAT at the end of the year, maybe June 2010. I just started reading some articles in the NYTimes but I don't know what to look for when I read, and I have trouble focusing.

So what should I look for when I read?
The average time I should spend on an article?

I'm an incoming junior and I plan on taking the MCAT at the end of the year, maybe June 2010. I just started reading some articles in the NYTimes but I don't know what to look for when I read, and I have trouble focusing.

So what should I look for when I read?
The average time I should spend on an article?

In addition, IMO, WSJ has opinion columns more in line with MCAT passages (in terms of authors' opinions, length of writing, and style of writing)

http://online.wsj.com/public/page/latest-opinion-analysis-columns.html

It def helped, English is not my first language either, but that was like 11 years ago, so it might be a different story...