Mcat verbal score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunday249

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got 33R on the last MCAT I took.
Biological - 12
Physical - 13
Verbal - 8
R on writing

My family immigrated when I was in middle school so English is not my native language.

My question is, according to one pre-med advisor I spoke with, she told me that she recently attended a pre-med conference and majority of US medical school admission people were there. And during the conference, they said they no longer place great importance on the verbal score because they realized that there is little correlation between verbal score and how well students perform in medical schools. Additionally, there is a bias towards students who was not born in America and immigrated later in life.
Is this true?
I am deciding whether I should retake the MCAT to raise my verbal score. But after I heard that, I don't know what to do. There is always a chance that I might get lower grades on science sections.
Does anybody know anything about changes in how med schools view and evaluate verbal scores?

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

1. There is an MCAT forum; mods please move this there.
2. Search function. Please.

I got 33R on the last MCAT I took.
Biological - 12
Physical - 13
Verbal - 8
R on writing

My family immigrated when I was in middle school so English is not my native language.

My question is, according to one pre-med advisor I spoke with, she told me that she recently attended a pre-med conference and majority of US medical school admission people were there. And during the conference, they said they no longer place great importance on the verbal score because they realized that there is little correlation between verbal score and how well students perform in medical schools. Additionally, there is a bias towards students who was not born in America and immigrated later in life.
Is this true?
I am deciding whether I should retake the MCAT to raise my verbal score. But after I heard that, I don't know what to do. There is always a chance that I might get lower grades on science sections.
Does anybody know anything about changes in how med schools view and evaluate verbal scores?

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad :)
From my understanding, this is not true. Each session is weighted equally and most schools would like to see a 10 in each section. This isn't to say you won't get in with an 8 but it definitely will be a disadvantage. As for immigrating in middle school, you won't get any extra points for that unfortunately.

As for your score, I think its worth applying with if you don't mind going to a lesser known medical school. It also depends what state you are from and what your GPA is/how great your ECs are. Generally speaking, it will be much tougher if you are from california since there's so many qualified applicants but if you are somewhere else, I think you probably won't have too many problems getting an in state acceptance.