MCAT verbal scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asmin Tulpule

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone could give me an approximate scale for the MCAT verbal section? About how many can you miss for a 12? or 10? The AAMC V and VI tests say you can get a 47 (18 wrong) and still get a 10.... I was just a bit skeptical. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Our Princeton review instructor said that the AAMC V grading scale was a bit harsh for the Verbal. Since they are using the averages of all tests the scoring scale is going to be a bit off. He actually told us that we should add two points to our verbal score on AAMC V. I think I got 21 wrong and got a 9....so if what he is telling me is correct I should have gotten an 11. I dont know how much truth there is in that but it sure makes me feel better.

whoops...i meant 21 wrong gave me an 8...but according the PR I should have gotten a 10.

21 wrong definitely won't give u a 10.

maybe a 9, but most likely an 8 is the correct score.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone have more definitve numbers on verbal scoring and the number you can get wrong to get say a 10, 11, or 12? i've heard too many different things from too many different people....

Originally posted by Asmin Tulpule
anyone have more definitve numbers on verbal scoring and the number you can get wrong to get say a 10, 11, or 12? i've heard too many different things from too many different people....

AAMC #4-6 (#6 = April 2001)

15: 65
14: 63-64
13: 59-62
12: 55-58
11: 51-54
10: 48-50
9: 44-47
8: 40-43
7: 37-39
6: 32-36
5: 29-31

use these.................they are pretty accurate

I think what the person who said you add 2 to your AAMC test V verbal is correct, but not because the scale is off. The verbal test seemed really hard. I mean, i am used to getting 11 and 12's (and even 15's sometimes) and i think i got a 9 on it, which is way harsh. I did well on the other two sections, but i really hope the real MCAT doesn't have a passage like the one in bio about the bacteria with the strange way of mitosis/meiosis. I hope test VI is easier/a better indicator. Don't be discouraged by a bad verbal test V.

Yo, i just did my scoring for AAMC test v, and i got 3 wrong in phys, which i think should be a 15, but they said 14. I got 8 wrong in bio, which i thought would be a 13, but they said 12. I really think they are being a little harsh. I

Originally posted by judoka
Yo, i just did my scoring for AAMC test v, and i got 3 wrong in phys, which i think should be a 15, but they said 14. I got 8 wrong in bio, which i thought would be a 13, but they said 12. I really think they are being a little harsh. I

wow, 15's in verbal....only 3 wrong in physics?? Thats awesome!!

Damn. I just scored test V and I got 8, 12, 12. Can someone tell me how to increase the verbal score. I actually did not finish 1.5 passages. That's just ridiculous.... ::mad:

you must finish to bring up your score.
try a more rigorous timed approach in your practice - 1/3 of the passages (e.g. 3 of 9) in 1/3 the alloted time. every morning for a week. then take another timed exam on the weekend. if you need practice passages, cannabilize AAMC II or AAMC III.

this is like a marathon and you have to practice your pace or you won't make it to the end in your desired time.

When i said i got 15's in verbal, i meant 13-15's, which is like 4-6 wrong usually. None wrong would be freakin' amazing, which i clearly am not.

i'm not sure anybody shoudl add 2 points to a single section........especially if its from AAMC.......that's a real mcat, so why would the pr instructor think that adding two points to the real thing would be correct.?.........its not like all of a sudden its goign to be easier this year than it was in 2001........don't add any points, you'll liekly be disappointed.............

nero