MCAT verbal section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

Tawantinsuyu

How similar is the MCAT verbal section to the verbal section on the SAT?

Members don't see this ad.

There is a very strong correlation b/w the two. I scored an 800 on the verbal on both the PSAT and the SAT. I got a on the MCAT verbal. With that said it is by far tougher. I got perfect scores both times I took SAT verbal, whereas I never exceeded a on the real MCAT or any of the ~10 AAMC practice tests that I took.

SAT verbal is straight logic. On the MCAT, to get a 12 and under is also straight logic. Anything over a 12 requires judgment calls, in that the toughest handful of questions have 2 or more answer choices that are at least somewhat true. You are required to weigh the degree to which the correct aspects of each answer are emphasized in the passage, which is quite tough. In some cases I really believe that it's a total judgment call and nobody could really use logic to explain why it's 'C' and not 'A' that is correct. That is, use could use logic to argue that 'C' is correct and you could use logic to argue that 'A' is correct, but there is no premise you could conjure to prove that 'C' is more correct than 'A'.

Last edited:
it's funny you should post this. I actually just took the SAT this past week (two times, in fact). I'm trying to get a job for a tutoring company that specializes in SAT prep. I got a 700 the first time, and I think like a 720-730 the second time, and I only missed MAYBE 1 or 2 passage based questions (even having gone to college, some of those damn vocab questions are hard). I also took the mcat this past month (again, two times). idk what i got yet on the mcat, but let me tell you, the sat verbal is a JOKE compared to the mcat. the questions go in chronological order, which is a huge advantage, and the answers are pretty much straight reading comprehension. I did catch one analogy type question on it though, and those are very common on the mcat (they're hard as hell too)... but it was like a baby analogy question. there's pretty much no comparison.

They don't really seem that different to me. Sure, the MCAT is a bit harder (kinda has to be, SAT verbal is nothing), but it's similar.