MCAT Verbal Strategical Advice Needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc4lax

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am signed up for the July 12th MCAT, and I need some help with verbal. I have been doing about 2 passages a day for about the past month with a 65-80% test average , however, I have been consistently getting in the 5 and 6's on TPR practice exams. My problems are: I can complete about 6 passages while guessing on the 7th, and I get a little rattled when I start the section. I have tried following TPRs strategy, but I thought that it bogs me down with to much detail. I am currently have been trying exam crackers VR strategy. My physical and biological sciences scores I am not worried about, since those are improving rapidly for me. Does anyone have some advice in terms of strategy, building endurance, etc that I could use to improve my score? I'm shooting for a 9/10. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Im in the same boat as you. Although the highest Ive ever hit was an 8, the best advice I can give is to stick to a strategy that currently works the best for you and keep practicing with it. Dont try jumping from one strategy to another expecting an easy fix. I learned that the hard way.

Basically put most of your energy into understanding the author's main point and tone. Put the rest into identifying question type and answering accordingly. I.e don't infer random crap when the question is clearly just asking you what the author stated in the passage.